Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Needle clip position

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to the 5th from the top you will be makin it richer if you are now at the 4th from the top. To lean it you will want to put your clip on the 3rd from the top[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. I have just finished jetting and installing a full yoshi on my Raptor. They recommended the 3rd from the top which is the stock position. Haven't ridden it yet but it sure sounds like a beast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I am running 162.5/165 Mikunis along with Dyno-jet needles in the second position from top. Set your needles as high as your engine will allow without faultering......meaning no surging, blubbering, or slow response. I like too ride at about 1/4 throttle while adding up too about 2/3 throttle and then letting off....you can feel what your engine wants after some experimentation.

Old 09-27-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

TOID....Are you sure your mains are not just a little too big???? What if you drop them down 1 size?? My needle is in the 4th from the top w/146/148 mains @2100ft. My bike runs great with no bogging or flat spots!

Old 09-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

RR, I ain't too sure of nuttin now, I thought I was! lol

The quad has been running like a raped ape, at Silver lake a week ago, I gained over 3 quad lengths on the sand in just 100 yds. I was never "unhappy" with it the whole 2 days there! Maybe I should just stay happy with it and leave well enough alone. But I have noticed a slight hesitation/bog (bog is a harsh word), in the first 1/3. And if I CAN correct it, I want to!!

G, I know what ya mean there, and it is okay if it is gradual in anyway, then I won't even feel it. It's mainly when hammering the throttle, like at the base of a good sand hill, while loping and looking at it.

Once again, when the bike is tach'd out the plug looks great. While trail riding at lower RPM's and in lower gears, my AC grab bar gets really black and sooty from the exhaust. It has not been this bad before.

It has been raining here the last couple of days, so I haven't bothered with lowering the needles yet. But I believe that will be the first thing I attempt. Thanks again for keeping me straight Murph. Duh - I knew that![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

"TOID"

Old 09-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Whats the plug look like after casual riding? I recently had a bog when asking for fuel and richening the needles did the trick. Either way, whichever way you will either be better or more pronounced. When it clears up....try one more notch in the same direction and see how it feels.

Old 09-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

After casual/trail riding, plug and exhaust is dark. Plug looks good at the higher RPM's. So you DO suggest adjusting the needles? It is after all, the fastest thing to try...

RR, I know that I seem a good bit richer than you, according to jet size. But mid to top end, it is a freight train!

If only I could get rid of this little "thing", my Raptoid would go untouched and be considered "tuned" until I was forced to touch it again. I'm that close fellas...

"TOID"

Old 09-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<< So you DO suggest adjusting the needles? >>

Absolutely.....if your plug is as dark as you say, then try lowering the needles one notch. If that cleans the partial throttle problem up....then you are set. If the problem gets better.....lower the needles another notch. This should clean things up.
If the problem is even worse after the first adjustment......then adjust the needles up 2 positions (remembering that this is only 1 notch above the original baseline). Clean things up? How about raising them again in hopes of better performance. Your engine will tell you what it wants.