Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!

thanks guys, i really appreciate all the replies. Yeah like i was saying...when it comes to anything i usuallly dont take anyones word for it...i usually try to better understand what is mechanically going on so i can come up with a back my decision by a somewhat scientific reason. ( as far as the aluminum engine thing is concerned)

anyways...ok well, i like my warrior, it was durable as a rock. Maybe u guys can help me out if i tell u what kind of application im using this thing for.

im using it for high speed trail riding in PA but im looking into getting into mx a bit.

and whoever said it...i wish i could, but i cant get a raptor as a temporary solution just to get me through the wait for the predator to prove itself. whatever i buy is sticking with me for a while as i religiously take care of my things.

i know both engines are powerful. Can anyone give me a comparison of what the raptor has and will b better at doing than the predator and vice versa...one of big things that caught my eye with the predator was that bump steer thing and no brake diving.

how is the raptor with durability, is the axle as strong. The rims i think are stronger on the raptor but im not certain. thanks again for all your replies.

btw, you guys are sure that the whole cold/hot thing wont affect the motor unless it is a crazy change? And your sure the predator motor is aluminum?

alright thanks again. If i do get the raptor ill b getting an 03 in black and red just fyi. thanks
mike

Old 10-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

If it was me, I would go with the Predator. I have ridden one, I know a kid in Ohio & his uncle owns one of the biggest dealerships in the state, and his uncle was involved in the testing so he got a couple Predators for promotional purposes and sold one to my buddy. My buddy (who had previously owned a 02 Raptor) came in over the weekend, and I got a good hour in on the machine. The engine seems almost the same, but it handles far better than the Raptor, it wouldnt even be a stretch to say better than a 400EX & the suspension was awesome. I think it is by far an easy choice over the Raptor. I have some pics of it, Im gonna try to downsize them and upload them to the net tonight or tomarrow.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks ...anyone else

o does your friends uncle knows if theres any chance for reverse on these bad boys. thanks again

Old 10-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The engine is DEF aluminum, and temp change shouldn't hurt it. I had a warrior that I used to ride up and down the sand bars along the river, then into the creek. It never did hurt it and llike stated before its worse on an air cooled engine than water cooled.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks. Can anyone address my other question listed previously?

Old 10-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Ive never met his uncle so I dont know

Old 10-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

well,you must think that the raptor is a patent pending 5 titanium valves engine that yamaha have probably didn't tested enough so a tested DOCH 4 valve engine is for sure better in long terms,the new predator engine is been tested LONG TIME ago and even the first year production model the materials and construction wise is far more advanced.titanium in an performance engine really work but it tend to reshape during hot/rough conditions and hard pressure so more ease to dysfunct and break,i have titanium connecting rods in my xcr and this mod is only for RACE purpose, opened it at full throttle for a short period of time cauze the cranshaft tend to twist more with the titanium so in normal trail riding conditions reliability is a fading issues.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think happens when it is 20 degrees outside and the thermostat opens for the first time? Thats right, 20 degree water inside an aluminum engine that is about 180 degrees. Don't you think more people would've had cracked engines by now.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

so u guys are saying to go with the predator because polaris worked out its bugs prior to releasing it unlike other companies that just get out the obvious ones and use the first year production as their bug detection method? Basically using whoever buys first year production as guiniea pigs?

All im worried about is i buy this predator and a tranny blows or it turns out it has weak bearing or somehting was unevidently weak about it and i get screwed for lots of money.

So what is it. 03 raptor or 03 predator? thanks for all the replies mike

Old 10-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

o how long did it take for people to notice the the 01 raptor has a faulty tranny? thanks

Quick Reply: raptor and predator engine question...VIP!!