kodiak no bueno

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kodiak no bueno

I got bad problems, and the Quad too.
Got a 2000 Kodiak 400 with Auto tranny/4x4
When taking off, the engine hits the Rev Limiter??? and doesn't let the bike get going faster than maybe 7-10 mph with the engine topped out. Anyone experience this ? or have any ideas as where to look for the problem?? Quail season here in Az. and I can't use the critter.

Thanks,
Brad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default kodiak no bueno

If I understand what your saying, it sounds like you have water, dirt, mud, etc. in your belt housing or clutch basket. If you crossed some deep water or been in the mud lately that's where I would look. Remove the Belt housing cover and check for water and mud. Also remember to check the belt housing air intake and exhaust couplings where they connect at the front and back of the belt housing. Sometimes they work loose and allow junk to get in. Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2002, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default kodiak no bueno

Ah, the joys of belt drive!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Good luck with it!

Old 10-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default kodiak no bueno

I have had my 2000 Kodiak for 3 years now and never had a problem with the belt. I get into some pretty serious mud and water sometimes too. I would have to agree with WVhunter. Take your floor board off, 12 bolts in all, and then remove the black belt cover. It has 10 or 12 holding it on. Two bolts are longer than the other so remember where they go. Take a look inside there. It would be a good idea to remove the primary "front" pulley. I use a 7/8" socket and impact wrench. It is very very difficult to remove the nut without the impact wrench or the proper tool to hold the pulley with. The nut comes off like normal, it isnt backward threaded. After the nut is off just slide the outer clutch sheave off. Take out the 4 phillips bolts you see and remove that cover. Be careful not to damage the rubber o-ring under it. When off you will see the clutch weights. I would recommend taking them out and cleaning it all up and repacking it with waterproof grease.

After 3 years of hard riding with 27" tires I finally replaced my belt just last night. It is loud so I only got to test it in the garage. I can already tell a huge difference in take off power. Im going to do some more testing today and see how it does. I will try to let you know just how much of a difference it did make later on today. One more thing about the belt. The new one was shorter and much wider than my old one. The old one worked and worked very well but it took alot of performance away from the Kodiak.

Good luck, anymore questions just ask.

BTW, action450s, I would put my Kodiak up against your 450s any day of the week. My brother in law "had" a 450es and it wouldnt even run in the water and was slow as crap. Also, WTF are you doing in the Yamah forum anyway? If you dont have anything positive to say dont say anything and STFU!