Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ultimate Fix for Floor Boards(Grizz Custom Skids)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultimate Fix for Floor Boards(Grizz Custom Skids)

First big trip out with my new 03 grizz. Wile on a rock crawling trail I trashed the floorboards. I broke all 8 integrated plastic washers that attached the floorboard to the supports.

First thing I did was, go to the local hardware store and purchased 8 new floor board bolts(same size just longer) and 8 big body type washers. I painted them black and it was better then new.

As for the skid plates it was more complicated. Since I knew this would have to stand up to many years of abuse. I went back down to that hardware store and purchased 8 feet of 1X1 square tube, 20 recessed Phillips head bolts, 1 recessed bolt drill bit, and various nuts and washers. A friend of mine got me the large 3/8” plate of aluminum for Christmas a few years back from an unknown location

I started out by building a new frame/support system off of the original supports. Then I cut the plate to size, and clamped it to the frame I just built. I then drilled 8 or so holes through the plate and frame and attached it with the recessed bolts. I then re-installed the stock floorboards.

Overall it came out great. I only lost ¾” of and inch from the lowest point of the stock floor board to the lowest point on my new Skid plate. I only increased overall weight by 18lbs. If I had used steel instead of Aluminum it would weigh much more.

I would only recommend this set up for rock crawling, since it would be over kill for normal trail riding.

Click Big Dan's Rock Sliders link for pics

Old 11-08-2002, 02:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Gimme some feed back guys....

Old 11-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

i think the floorboards are quite an overkill, until i looked at your sight, lol. the only thing missing on your grizzly now is 4 ft of suspencion travel, lmao!!! i cant beleave them trucks have that much suspencion travel on them. serious stuff. i now have a much better understanding on the upgraded floorboards and skid plates. if your trying to ride it through rocks even close to them on your sight, then a roll cage might be next, lol.

Old 11-09-2002, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Too bad they dont make a 4WD Oddessy

Old 11-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I forget what the website was but there was a company that was building grizzlys into oddessys. The lengthend the frame like 6-8 inches put on a roll cage then had a seat in it. It looked like a mini jeep. it only weighed about 800lbs so they didnt add to much weight.