Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shop Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 02:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop Work

Ok heres the deal I have to get the Raptor jetted, again. I don't mind doing it but it takes alot of time. I also want it to be 100% top to bottom. The local Yammy dealer here has an O2 meter for jetting, which would be the next best thing to a Dyno IMO. Sounds easy right, wrong. I HATE this shop, they have bad service, poor managment, and just all around sorriness. So here in lies my problem, take it to them and wait to long and get charged to much, or do it myself, cuss out, throw wrenches, and maybe it will be spot on.

What do I do? Any opinons will be welcomed.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

Hey Ward you gonna make it to Aledo this weekend?

Old 11-08-2002, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

To me jetting the Rap is not that big of a deal, even if it's not spot on the first time, just put the tank back on (leave all the plastic and all off) till you get it right. Do you have your airbox **** cut so you can slide the airbox back out of the way so you can remove the carbs easier? I wouldn't bother with letting Yamaha do anything with my quad again! I'm done with their sorriness!!
"TOID"

Old 11-08-2002, 02:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

TX no maybe Kermit, I doubt it but maybe.

eRaptoid what air box, I don't have one. No seriously I don't mind doing it but I kinda got burnt out doing it with the Pro Flo, no lid, and DJ stuff. The last time went really quickly. I wish or Honda shop had a meter, I just want it to be perfect. I know you can relate to that.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

Ward- this is the answer that you did not want to hear. Jet it yourself 11 differnt ways. Jet up, jet down raise and lower your needles. There is a lot of HP advantange over the guy that just switched out his jets. And do not forget to screw with the fuel air screws.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

i've gotta agree with 14mins on this.
this may sound weird to alot of you die-hard "take the lid off" guys but, i have tried everything with jetting on my raptor and the most performance i have gotten with no flat spots and best overall acceleration is how it is right now: 150/155, no snorkel, one 2x2 layered-foam-covered hole in the very back of the box, clips on 3, screws on 3 and have #s to prove it.
i've tried every combo you can imagine with every size jet too. it's the fastest it's ever been plus i have a lid to keep out the crud. later.

Old 11-08-2002, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

how about spending the money and buying a EGT for your bike that way you can jet it when it needs it instead of bringing it to dealer everytime. Im also perrty sure the dealer isnt to worry about how fast your bike is.

Old 11-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

Thanks guys.
14min and RRR I agree, I think. Like you said I still hate jetting the thing.

Sporty that is an idea, and a good one, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money on a thing I will only use two or three times. Plus I don't want to have to weld anything into my head pipe.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

Ward, I'm hurt.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] You didn't agree with me. LOL I thought I said the same thing (basically).
"TOID"

Old 11-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Shop Work

Sorry eRAPTOID nothing against you at all. I am VERY hard headed it just takes a few times before I listen to people. If it makes you feel better when I start jetting it I will give you all the credit, good or bad, since you said it first.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I really do apreciate the help from all of you.

Quick Reply: Shop Work