Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ct racing or yoshimura pipe?

sorry for the bad grammer its not my strong point lol oh well i didn't think anyone else would care i'll fix it up a bit if you really care

Old 11-15-2002, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Check out Trinity, but if not go with the yoshi. A couple friends run them and Love the performance/sound.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Old 11-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I actually went back to the stock needles in the stock position. I use the mikuni 175/180 jets. I even bought the dyno jet kit, and it didn't work for me. It may be the temperature up here in Toronto and the elevation.....

Also, I searched back and found that Velocity and Zombie were the guys who found that the Alien pipe worked better for them. Just thought I would mention it.

RM

Old 11-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Heres what it comes down to..Why didi i by my Yoshi?...they have years of pipe building experience. the canister was titanium..those were just 2 factors involved in my decision...whats the best pipe?...the best pipe for ME is the Yoshi.

oh one more thing...

Since the Raptor engine does come from a european street bike..wouldnt you think that a company known for making some of the best street bike pipes in the business would also make the best Pipe for the Raptor
How many years has Yoshimura been around? at least 30 years i belive.....

nuff said

Old 08-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

i love my e-series!

Old 08-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Range Rover

Dont count out the dmc alien, it gives some crazy gains all over the power band, i got the dmc full kit for my raptor with the dyno jet kit, the power difference was unbelievable, it didnt feel like the same quad at all! but if i didnt get my dmc i would definately pick the yoshi pipe 2nd.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Well. I find these post very interesting. It’s never ending.

Yes I agree with some of the guys online. The CT pipe made the most HP. Why, they run with no lid, new jets, needle and a new pipe. The rest did not. It does not take a genius to figure this out.

Now. Yoshi is a very good pipe. Built quality is great and its also one of the pipes with the lowest DB levels.

Now to some other statements. 49HP on the CT pipe. I believe it. Not only do I believe it I have my own proof. I am running a stock motor raptor with Sparks X6 and L&A intake. This combo gave me 49.5HP. Same sort of numbers CT published. If you tune the Raptor right, it can make close to 50HP.

PS. I have about 7 different dyno runs proving this on my bike. Some of the runs where on a different dyno. Both dynos give similar readings.

There are a couple of reasons why some people get very low HP numbers in the Dyno.

1st...Tyres make a massive difference in the dyno reading. You can have a 1 to 10HP difference, purely by changing the tyres. Raptors running tyres like bear claws give very low HP readings on the dyno. It does not mean the bike produces less HP, it’s purely the way the tyres grip and transfer the power to the dyno.

If you dyno a bike, you need to use slick tyres. They work the best and produce the most accurate HP numbers on the dyno. You cannot compare two raptors HP figures if they are not running the same tyres.

Then, jetting and correct carburettor setup makes a big difference in HP output. The same dyno that showed 49.5HP on my raptor showed 38HP for a modified raptor with full pipe, gas flowed head, High compression piston and stage 2 cam. This raptor had some real heavy tyres and might have been a bit out of tune.

Back to the Dirtwheels shootout. They used slick/dyno tires. This will give higher HP figures than a raptor with stock tyres. Again I state. Tyres do not give more power. Slick tyres bounce less and grip much better on the dyno and give higher, more accurate figures.

Now for the last bit of info.

Tomorrow 4 raptors are going onto the dyno. 2 stockers, 2 modified bikes with stock motors.

The aim of these dynos is to settle this damn debate once and for all.

The two stock raptors will be used for a base line HP reading. Then, we will try two different slip-on exhausts onthese bikes. We will use the averager of the two bikes to determine the HP figures of any mod. Each time we change someting we will make sure the jetting is spot on. Then we will do full airbox mods and test them again. Then we will remove the airbox lid and test them again. We will also test the difference between K&N and foam filters.

Once we have the airbox mod that give the most power, it's time for the full exhaust pipes. 3 pipes will go on testing. CT racing, Yoshi and Sparks.

I personally believe there will be very little difference between the 3 pipes, but the dyno will tell the truth. Some pipes might make more torque low down, while others make more power higher in the RPM range. Some pipes will work better for trails, and other better for drags.

I will post the dyno runs once I have all the results. All the pipes will have the same airbox mods and we will use the same raptor for all the testing. The only thing we might change is the jetting. Not all pipes use the same jetting.

O, just before you get worried that the dyno will be out, we are taking some raptors to a second dyno to confirm the HP readings of the 1st one. When we are done, one raptor is going to a 3rd dyno. This run will once again be used to confirm the numbers, plus I will be testing the Vortex CDI to see how much power it adds.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Freez,

All questions will be answered!
But im sure my bike will have the highest readings coz its blue!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I've tried the CT and Sparks.... Sparks wins by a long shot... The CT pipe is much heavier too....

Quick Reply: ct racing or yoshimura pipe?