Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hey guys what are your best tips on wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys what are your best tips on wheelies

first of all do you have a grab bar, if not you could hurt yourself real fast. if it has the power put it in 2nd sit all the way back on the seat take it the bottom of the power band gas it for a second to get ther front end up then let of fast to drop it then hammer the gas using the shocks to help, you can even use your arms to push down them pull up if you cant do it with just the gas. get the front end up till it fells like you are going to flip over and your lookin at heaven, that is right where you want to be. i like to hold the gas in one possition and not jab at it like other poeple do, i think its easier to keep it right in the sweet spot like that. keep the back brake handy at all times, and if you hit your grab bar the brake should bring the front down. please try this in a open field and not in the woods or the road. if you lean to the left or right you can turn alittle bit, it will take you a few days to get used to this so dont try wheelies at high speeds till you can do 2nd gear wheelies for as long as you want, then go faster. good luck

Old 11-28-2002, 06:22 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I know what you talk about Toomey as far as the extended swing arm. I installed one on an old blaster. It really throws more weight on those front tires.
Not really sure what advice to give you......either add more power,,,,or take the extension off.
good luck

Old 11-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

thanks guys i went for a quick ride i think it was 2 slipery most have the snow has melted but what is left has became ice cause it got rained over on
got it up a bit but i need some more traction
i'll keep practicing...

Old 11-28-2002, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

Preload the front shocks before jerking it back into a wheelie that will help the front come up kinda like bouncing the front end. When you get good at them and you can ride wheelies with speed if you turn your front wheels the air hitting them will make your bike go left or right it's weird how it works but you need to be going fast enough for this to happen. which ever way you want to go turn your wheels that way. As far as what gear to learn in I think second is better then first because first is to throttle responsive. Second gear would be better to learn in. you do not want to be at max rpm by the time you get the wheelie going. At a lower rpm it will not be as jerky when you give it gas. I learned standing up which seemed to be alittle easier to me then sitting down. Once you find that ballance point it wont be long till your riding monster wheelies. Don't worry about shifting right now just start in a gear where you have room to work and find that balance point. The quad will feel weightless and you won't be gaining alot of rpm. If you are gaining alot of rpm's then you are powering it and your not quite at the balance point. It just takes practice but when you find that balance point it's alot easier.

Old 11-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

Stand with your feet on the grabbar, put it in first, rev it to about 1/2 throttle, drop the clutch and i hope u know how to hold on and how to not plant the grab bar.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2002, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

ya i was foolin around in first next time i'll try second still have to get used to the new twist grip i'm starting to the hang of it but it still suprises me every once and a while