Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'02 Kodiak or '03 Eiger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 Kodiak or '03 Eiger?

Considering buying one of these two machines (if I can find a new 02 still) and was interested in some qualitative 'feel' issues. I'm mostly interested in using the machine for grouse hunting and will be slowly driving logging roads, skidder trails and other hardpack with the occasional fun ride through some light mud/snow. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience riding both machines of their opinions on noise and vibration. Is the liquid cooled Yamah quieter than the air cooled Suzuki? Does either of them have better vibration isolation than the other (footpegs, handlebars, rack or bracket vibration & noise)? I would like the machine to be as quiet as possible and whether or not there are any large differences between them. I'm mostly looking at the 02 Kodiak because it is roughly the same price and has the high/low range (will pull a trailer with wood occasionally) like the Eiger.

Also has anyone ridden a 5 speed Eiger with the full footboards and how effective are they for keeping your feet dry running through shallow puddles at low speed? Also, is it easy to shift the 5 speed wearing heavy hunting boots? At this time I'm leaning towards an automatic but would consider a 5 speed if it were not difficult to shift with warm hunting type boots. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 12-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

i had experince with kodiaks and they are great! go yamaha! or get the manual shift vinson

Old 12-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it is even an option, I would say 450 kodiak. Differential lock feature is well worth having.

Old 12-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I would like the Kodiak 450 but near as I can tell, the only major differences between the Eiger and the 450 are the diff lock and liquid cooling and it costs another grand for those items. Too difficult to justify the diff lock when a winch for a fraction of that cost will suffice for what I do. I think I could also get a locker for the front for less. The 450 does have better gauges and a park feature and maybe more power but not enough to justify the 20% increase in cost. The 400 looks more comparible and if I can find a 2002, the features are nearly the same between the machines.

The liquid cooling looks nice as I think it would make it slightly quieter - should reduce all the mechanical noise from the valve train. Usually a liquid cooled engine is quiter than an air cooled. The air cooled has all that surface area from which it radiates noise in addition to cooling. The liquid cooled also can be covered up with panels further reducing the noise. I am interested if anyone out there had ridden both of these machines and could comment on that?

Old 12-10-2002, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

First thing I would say is good luck in finding an 02 leftover. Most of the local dealers near me are selling the 03' 400 and 450 units as fast as they can get them. If you are going to use the quad for mainly recreational trail use and hunting I would reccomend the 400 Kodiak even though it doesn't have low range. There is actually very little power difference between the 400 and 450. If you are only going to be using the quad for pulling a trailer on a limited basis the 400 would do the job. I haven't pulled anything with my wifes 400 yet, but when we trade quads while trail riding it is hard to notice much difference. I bought the 450 for myself for doing occasional utility work and trail riding. The 450 does have the diff lock and low range which are nice features to have but you do pay extra for the convenience and bragging rights of having them[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

i hav a 2000 kodiak n its the best bke i ever drove!! it can handle n e thing i through at it!! well worth the money[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] it cut throug snow and mud very easily! lots of power too n thats very important. if possible get a manual!!