Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Procedure for running Alky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedure for running Alky?

Ok, lots of Alky questions for Raptor. here they are...

1. Where can you buy it, and do you have to get it in 55 gallon drums?

2. How long can Alky sit, before it goes bad?

3. Can you keep it in plastic containers for short periods of time, like for trips, or only metal?

4. Do you have to drill out the fuel petcock, or get a larger fuel line?

5. I have heard of people putting 2-stroke oil in the Alky, should I do this, and why?

Old 12-20-2002, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Dont you need a working motor to run alcohol? LOL

Old 12-20-2002, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know about hooking it up for a raport, but we had mini-tractors that we pulled, and you can keep alky for quite a while. We always put it in plastic jugs, and it was always clear at the track when we had fuel tests. The only thing you have to do, is set it up off of the ground (on a shelf) and make sure the jug seals tight.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1:almost anywhere they sell racefuel, try the dragstrip, and no sold by the gallon

2:alky absorbes water, so if its seeled up a long time

3:yes

4: I don't think so

5:its a matter of opinon, I would, it helps lube the top end, you can also get alky specific top end lube

Old 12-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

How much does a gallon of ALKY cost, and how much riding time will you get compared to a gallon of gas

Old 12-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think ALky is about the same, or a little less than the price of Premium pump gas. You burn about 2x as much as gas.

Ryan, yes, I do, but might as well get some info ahead of time.

Where can I find Alky-specific top-end lubes at?

Old 12-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Probably the same place as the alky.

Old 12-21-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Last I heard your motor was apart without anyone to build it.
Time to turn some wrenches and weld up some more stuff..then sell it as new? LOL

Old 12-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I buy my methanol in a drum or if I am only needing 5 gallons, I pick it up from a friend that races sprint cars. The price ranges from $1-2 a gallon depending on time of year and price of gas. One thing you have to watch with buying from racers is that most pre-mix the whole 55 gallon drum. Personally, I like to know what is in my fuel. I run Klotz Uplon fuel lube, its the best. Any ATV dealership can get it. I also run it with race gas (mixed leaner than with alky) in 4-strokes since race gas has little lubrication qualities. Another thing to watch is sugar mixes well with alky so make sure you can trust the man you buy it from.
If you buy a drum, make sure you keep it out of extreme temperature changes like your shop normally goes through. 30 degree nights then kick the heater on and heat the shop to 80. This is what causes condensation. Plastic containers are fine, just keep them out of the sun. Most racers won't keep alky over the winter except maybe little for tuning.
You only have to modify the fuel delivery system if it needs it. Most large banshees can use stock gravity flow system without problems. YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN DRY WHILE ON ALKY. 4 strokes aren't as bad, but if you ever run out of fuel on a 2-stroke, you WILL melt the pistons.
Humidity is a b!tch when running alky. Here in MO we can have a dry cool day, a humid hot day, humid cool day, and a dry hot day all in a row. All 4 require major jetting differences. Temp affects some, but I feel humidity is worse.
I will be happy to help with any questions.

Old 12-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Almost forgot, a little known fact is rear tractor/backhoe/etc tires are filled with methanol for added weight and traction. If you have ever seen these tires have condesation on them, it is caused by the alky. Some people claim there is a difference in fuel grade and tire grade methanol, but I have ran both. A local farm tire supply store's owner races circle track and he says its the same stuff. You can ask around at tire dealers to see what their price is.

Quick Reply: Procedure for running Alky?