Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Troubleshooting

14- I won't know anything till tuesday or so.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] As for the piston, it was honed at a local machine shop. The one thing I did notice about the stock rod when my motor was being done was that it was real blue in color. Should that have been a warning sign? It really $ucks cause I just had it done and the quad isn't even a year old!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I guess this means I'll have to get a ported and polished head this time around![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (along with some other "goodies"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]!)

Old 01-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooo what's the problem did you find anything out yet?

Old 01-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

SixsixT, I still don't have a definite answer as to what happened!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I was hoping it might be the timing chain like MichaelAZ's 686 did, but I think the rod on mine gave out because when we tried to remove the plug it wouldn't move![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] So, more than likely I'll be needing a new cylinder and head in addition to valves and piston![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'm hoping some things can be salvaged from my current motor. I will post IMMEDIATELY after I find out for sure what happened. XR

Old 01-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

OK fellas, here's the scoop.....................the connecting rod twisted causing the head and piston to be DESTROYED!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure if the cam can be saved. Looks like I'm gonna be spending some $$$$!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I'm not sure how long I'll be down but at least I'll know it has the best of the best parts in it!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Should I rebuild it just like before or build it differently? Any ideas anyone? Thank in advance!!!!!!! XR

Old 01-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

How many hours were on the machine since the last operation? Sorry about the bad news....the rod twisted? Is the piston stuck (siezed)? Was this your wrench mans first build? Hope you are back together soon.

Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

gary- The bike probably had about 15 hours on it if that!!! The piston is not seized and no this was not my wrencher's first build!!! I just ordered my Carrillo rod about 10 minutes ago. That should take care of those worries. Now for the head. Anyone know where I might find a head a bit cheaper than Alba or Riva? Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!!!! XR

Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Xtreme I know where a head is but it is without the valve cover. I had mine tore down to put a 686 in and the shop has a guy that works on them. Well he tried taking off the valve cover with some bolts left in. And cracked the valve cover. And since you can't buy them seperate the shop bought me a new head and valve cover. They told me if I new anybody that wanted a ported head to send them their way. The name of the shop is Donelson's cycles it is park Hills, Missouri. (573)431-3690 If you call on it ask for either Greg or Keith tell them that Jason told you about the head and it will help them figure out which one you are talking about. Hope this has been some help. And as far as I know the head was in excellent shape.

Jason

Old 01-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks a bunch Jason!!!!!!!! Sounds like it might be worth a shot!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]