Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheelies

i need some help. i can't ride wheelies on my banshee, all i do is spin. if anyone could help i would appreciate it. i am trying to do them from a dead stop. thanks

Old 01-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

Dont give it so much gas.. sit back and yank it up.. to much gas and all you do is spin.. You got crappy tires?? It should be easy on the banshee

Old 01-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

Ive found its easier on 2 strokes to ride wheelies on the fly, rather than from a dead stop. While your rolling along in first gear, get into the power band and then bang second while yanking up on the bars and leaning back. This may surprise you so be ready to tap the rear brake if it goes past the balance point. If you still spin, try it while going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Dont forget to wear your helmet....

Old 01-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

I agree I've driven 2-strokes for years and your much better in 2nd and hitting powerband. on a shee it will definatly kick it back. What treads are you running. are they worn?

Old 01-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

Yup, I agree with the other guys...it's tough from a dead stop w/ a 2-stroke...especially with a Banshee, though if you slip the clutch you can get it up there, it's much easier rolling.

The Banshee can be wheelied pretty good, but tires and the surface you are playing on really make a difference. Pavement or very hard packed dirt are the easiest, then comes fields, and last comes loose dirt or gravel.

If you are just learning I'd stick to fields or grassy areas.

It's also better to have a place with a lot of room, that way you can start in a higher gear. 1st is okay, but with the Banshee's lightswitch powerband it can be really hard to ride a wheelie without redlining. If you don't have a lot of room get going slowly in first gear...just below where the power comes on. Pull up a little bit and give her a nice shot of throttle and then let off. You'll give it another shot of gas then yank the clutch and bang 2nd. Let the clutch out while slipping it and you should be set for a while. Keep practicing that way and once you get the feel of it you can go for more distance.

I personally loved 4th gear to wheelie in. Get the bike going so you are just under the power band like before. Pull up like a mother and gas it up to the balance point. Once you get there you can back off the throttle to just under the power band and with good throttle control you can go a long, long ways.

I don't know, but some people just can't wheelie. My buddy has a Banshee also, and he can only wheelie in 1st and barely in 2nd. He can't even get the tires off the ground in 3rd. I can pull mine up in 3rd or 4th on flat ground, and in 5th if you have a little hill.

What kind of tires are you running, and what type of ground are you riding on? It makes a difference.

-Josh

Old 01-02-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

well i know the majority of my problem is tires, they are the crapy stock ones. i've tried to not give it as much gas, but i either spin or it dies, from not enough gas. i think it will be alot easier, when i get my new tires. i will go and try it while shifting into second. also, is it possible to be riding alon in like 3rd or 4th and be in the powerband and lift it up, or is that really hard to do.

thx
Eric

Old 01-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

Yes, it will come up in 3rd or 4th if the traction is there. You are gonna have to pull it up too.

Pavement is deffinatly the easiest surface to wheelie on...the stock tires even hook up good there.

-Josh

Old 01-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

yea, pavement is good, but i don't have the ***** to try and pull it up on pavement. maybe someday i'll try, but not yet lol

mini

Old 01-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default wheelies

Good thinking....Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing.

Always cover your rear brake....If you go over backwards the grab bar will save you if you are on level ground....nail the rear brake quickly though or you could get the death shakes and it will buck you off. That wouldn't be pretty.

-Josh

Old 01-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Range Rover
Default wheelies

On a 2 stroke get it in its power band and punch it and it should come right up. Try in the grass where you can hook up better.

Quick Reply: wheelies