Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What piston brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What piston brand?

Where are you getting this JE piston when they don't make one for a Blaster?

There are 3 types of pistons Cast, Forged and Hypereutectic, many haven't heard of hypereutectic it's cast that's heat treated and has both charactoristics of forged and cast pistons I think KB Kieth Black is the only manufacture that has them.
When you want a reliable engine that will be trouble free starting and longer life go with Cast WSM and ProX along with stock Yamaha are all excellent choices, when you are racing and reving your engine a lot go with forged they are really strong and won't break as easy as cast, you will see many people change to Forged because they think they are better, WRONG Forged pistons are pounded into a mold making them very seamless and un breathable, a cast piston is able take advantage of the 2 stroke oil by absorbing it in the piston and lubing your cylinder and giving the rings lube and making your cylinder and rings wear less. Forged are stronger but won't last longer it's why they come with every 2 stroke stock.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Does any one know if i can buy a cast piston kit with everything i need to rebuild my banshee.
Thanks

Old 01-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

RideOrDie, I know I just PM'd this to you, but I now see this post. So I just copied it up here for everyone.

Wiesco's are the best pistons for the banshee. If you notice the rear skirt of the banshee piston, it has two square holes also known as "windows". If you compare the banshee piston to a 250r piston, you will see a huge difference. The 250r piston has a half circle cutaway on the bottom of the skirt. On cutaway pistons, you must keep a tighter piston to wall clearance so the piston doesn't start slapping. On a windowed piston, you still have the lower part of the skirt to ride against the wall, so you can go with a looser clearance. Wiesco pistons are forged, which means the aluminum is pressed together under extreme pressures. This puts more metal in each piston vs cast (where aluminum is just poured into a mold). The increased amount of metal expands more so the clearance needs to be greater. Cast pistons don't expand much so you can run them tight. They are the best choice for cutaway pistons. Pro-x makes the best cast pistons. Forged pistons last longer and are stronger so they should be used when possible. Wiesco makes the best forged atv pistons. I know this is a long explaination, but hopefully it was a good one.

JE/SRP are the best pistons for 4-stroke applications. I run them in my 521 Ford stroker, partly because they custom made the compression, valve relief, and pin height my engine required. No other company would take their time with me. My 250x with the 410 stroker also runs a JE piston. I don't however think JE makes any two-stroke pistons.

Mojave300ex, every manufacturer uses cast pistons because they are cheaper. VERY few auto engines come with forged pistons. No atv that I know of comes with forged pistons (cannondale might but I doubt it). Keith Black is not the only hyperuetetic pistons manufacturer.