Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MY VERSION of FSW II

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY VERSION of FSW II

I pulled in to Glamis at noon on Fri. from Sandy Eggo, and headed over to Pad 3 to talk to some of the long travel car mfrs. I hooked up with Andrew Buck of Buckshot Racing and inadvertently ran into Jeffnrivercity and another forum member, but we didn't introduce ourselves since neither of us knew the other was really there for FSW II. I met a lot of great people and to say there were a few gorgeous women present would be an understatement. (Pictures to follow)

We went out to a secluded area of the dunes and I rode in the Superman car, probably a $65-70,000 machine. Some VERY nice photos were taken (sorry, I don't have any of those) and we headed back when some rangers started writing tickets. We arrived back at camp and Andrew gave me a ride in the Buckshot X3 (Blown LS1 with 3 staggered seats and 24+ inches of finely tuned travel.)

While he was driving with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter at over 100mph, I was thinking, "This is so smooth, i could be drinking a beer right now...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]"

We got back to camp and I said goodbye and headed over to the low rent district, er- I mean wash 11. After driving my 2WD 2500HD down 4mi of washboard, I turned into camp and saw a nice spot next to a big motorhome and Al (Vegas650) said pull on up. I started back up and realized I'd stopped in soft sand with my narrow tires and was stuck. I went over to talk to someone about getting pulled out and someone else tried helping with plywood. That didn't work, but while talking to Crafty, Kingraptor came over with his Ford and asked if I had a strap. Yes - "Great, he says, "I've got a camera and once we get a picture of this, I'll pull you out!"

Once parked, I realized too late that I was directly behind Charlie Ohton's awesome dyno trailer. I hoped he wasn't gonna run too late, but being the industrious guy that he was and making sure no one went away disappointed, he ran that sucker until midnight!

Some of the dyno highlights - someone named Dave from the Vegas Boys camp had a Banshee putting out 97hp until a rod liberated a piece of the case and ended that run. Scooby ran 119hp, with WAAAY oversized tires that supposedly robbed 4hp. I still think it was more like a percentage, so he's putting out a lot more than just 119hp.... RaptorRRC put out 53hp on a very mild 686 engine with MBRP exhaust...14mins put out 67hp on his worked 686 with a drag pipe, he reported that the larger MBRP pipe with muffler felt the same as the drag pipe setup.... AFAIK, that was the highest dyno run for any raptor...

14mins blew his tranny out of his '01 Raptor on Fri morning and they drove over to Yuma and bought an '03 Raptor on Fri. That night, they stripped down everything but the frame and case and assembled all of the parts from the other bike onto it. Just another night at the Craycraft Racing (ATPT) camp. They were wrenching on everything that was broken. It didn't matter who built your motor --- if you weren't satisfied with how your bike was running, they'd take a look, wrench on it, help in any way they could.

Fri nite 14mins, Crafty, RaptorRRC and Ward660R came over for some carne asada and beer. They told me the true story about the kibbles-n-bits. While Ward had his motor apart back home in his garage, a mouse or something had stashed some dog food in his air filter. He assembled it, not looking inside. It immediately sucked into the engine and blew the head gasket. Pretty weird story, but I wouldn't have thought to look into the filter either. I like the "kibbles instead of nitrous" story better anyways.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Saturday, I was off in the dunes while most of the camp was practicing on the whoops and tuning or testing on the dyno. Scooby fried his clutches and was rebuilding it in the Craycraft trailer. Everyone was discussing the wild racing they'd seen from all of the bikes and cars at Olds and the sand drags.

Sunday, I took a "death ride" to China Wall. 4.8mi according to GPS, 12mi according to my odo. I was following a bunch of sucidal maniacs on Banshees who had obviously paid up on a LOT of insurance. It was challenging but fun. Got a ride up China Wall in a very nice long travel car with a Northstar engine at 6500rpm in 2nd gear.... figure 50-60mph. I'm thinking of buying it..... On Sunday nite, I bought a MBRP pipe from Bob, and they insisted on installing it on the spot for me. The only thing that stopped us was they were out of them due to some mismarked boxes, but no worries. I asked a million questions, and everyone patiently answered every one of them as if they'd never heard that stupid question before. I'm eventually going to build a 686 and all of the cylinder and head work will be done by Craycraft. Between the common sense approach, down to earth answers and who does their headwork, it's a no brainer.

Monday morning, most of camp was emptied out. RaptorRRC, Crafty, 14mins, Wyoduner, Roostking, GregV, myself as well as others all went out to China Wall before we packed up. What a great ride! I think we rode every face and flew thru every bowl from wash 11 to China Wall and back. To give you an idea - I broke a halogen bulb and bent a tie rod without ever dumping the bike! GregV had his helmet cam on and we did some runs up and across China Wall, as well as watched Crafty ride a wheelie while carving sideways thru a huge bowl!

So here's my conclusion: It doesn't matter what you ride. It doesn't matter how many hp you've got. It doesn't matter where you live or how old you are. We are all drawn here and to each other by a love for our bikes and the outdoors. I met the greatest people this weekend, and that's no exaggeration. To everyone there, I had a great time meeting all of you and riding with you. To KingRaptor - many thanks for a job well done and the best event of my sand season! I'll be there at FSW III, no doubt!

Regards, Steve

Old 01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Steve- Great story! I should have been following you more so that i could have ridden in some of those rail buggies!!! Need to change your name to 1badrap LOL. Nice meeting you and hope to hook up and ride again sometime. I meet many great people and made lots of new friends.

Old 01-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Great write up!

RoostKing..

Old 01-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Very Nice 2bad.
I enjoyed that.

Old 01-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent perspective. Actually Crafty took the pictures of the Ford pulling out the Chevy HD Diesel with trailer. I barely heard the turbo spool when your truck and trailer came rolling along..........

I agree!!

Where are those pics ??

Old 01-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So here's my conclusion: It doesn't matter what you ride. It doesn't matter how many hp you've got. It doesn't matter where you live or how old you are. We are all drawn here and to each other by a love for our bikes and the outdoors. I met the greatest people this weekend, and that's no exaggeration. To everyone there, I had a great time meeting all of you and riding with you. To KingRaptor - many thanks for a job well done and the best event of my sand season! I'll be there at FSW III, no doubt!
That pretty much sums it up for me too. It was great meeting you and thanks for the wonderfull carne asada!!!!

Old 01-22-2003, 06:22 PM
RIP Dear Friend

2badraps,

I can't find anything funny to say about that write up.

Sounds like Craycraft Racing (ATPT) camp is first class.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

As usual, I forgot a whole bunch of things!

First, a huge thanks to Ward660R for coming over 1700mi to attend.

The missing part of the story is he bought a new SUV on Mon or Tues. He works at night and got off in the morning, slid under it and hooked up the trailer lights. Then headed out for CA. He had a huge pot of DELICIOUS gumbo that he had cooked for several days, he brought it out, heated it up on a propane burner on his flatbed trailer, along with a huge container of rice. Then he proceeded to feed anybody who hadn't already eaten.

Everybody put in your pre-order for gumbo for next year!

Thanks for the correction on Crafty taking the pics when KingRaptor pulled me out... thanks for saving me King! 400hp doesn't do any good on pizza cutter tires! Feel free to delete those pics, Chris.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Late Sat. nite, somebody knocked on my trailer door. When I opened it, he asked for Steve.
I said, "I'm Steve." ..... "Different Steve." ..... "I'm the only Steve here." ..... "Oh... maybe I'm looking for Dave with the blown Banshee motor." ..... "Oh yeah, he's in the next motorhome, with the Vegas Boys.

It turns out it was Harry from Trinity. He spent the night in the motorhome and picked up the motor in the morning.

Got some of the Buckshot pictures posted on the web.
Buckshot pics

Regards, Steve

Old 01-23-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

2badraps,
You mentioned that you bought a MBRP pipe. Did you buy the drag pipe or the full exhaust? The reason why I am asking is are you replacing your CT pipe and why?

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First, a huge thanks to Ward660R for coming over 1700mi to attend.
It was worth it just to meet you guys and to ride a few dunes!

Quick Reply: MY VERSION of FSW II