Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior aftermarket suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003 | 08:22 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Warrior aftermarket suspension

Does anyone have dual rate works shocks on their Warrior? Do they help alot? I am getting ready to do some motor work and thought I would some suspension upgrades too. I mainly ride trails in woods, I lot of fast short jumps but not many high ones. I weigh 190# and wonder if triple rates would be better. Also what to do about the rear shock. I hear that there are several companies that can rebuild them and make them better than stock.

Old 03-05-2003 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I've got them and like them. They are a big improvement over stock and pretty economical comaped to the Elkas, Axis, etc....

Also, a very economical rear shock upgrade is to find a stock 01 Raptor shock (the 02 lower bushing is the wrong size) on E-bay. They work GREAT on a raptor. or - many places are upgrading the spring and internals of the rear shocks.

Old 03-06-2003 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

ive got an 01 warrior with works dual rates up front. i ride trails mostly with this machine. first ,let me start by saying i liked the stock setup except for the fact that the fronts fade fast after they heat up. The trails i ride are extremely rocky in spots and the duals certainly smooth alot of it out...however, i also jump my warrior and the switch from single rate is most noticable here. because the front end is now plusher, yoo need to charge the jump a little faster. the first couple of times feels a little awkward...but like most things...you become accustomed to it.

Fisher1648: can you give more details on mounting the rear Raptor shock. Ive got an 01 raptor that ive upgraded to Elkas all around. what would the benefits be of mounting my stock raptor shock to the warrior? they look like the same shock?

Old 03-06-2003 | 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

In my case it was a big "refreshment" since my Warrior shock is going on 13 hard years. The Raptor shock was nice and fresh. The Raptor shock is a bit longer and actually gives ya more rear wheel travel - especially in the up travel (you can lift the rear grab bar higher before the shock tops out)....Also, I guessing that Yam made some internal shock refinements since the Warrior shock and it should be a bit more suited to aggressive "Raptor-like" riding. Considering the weight of the bikes are very close, the valving should be similar - maybe a little more inspired. I weigh 170 lbs and have the pre-load backed way off.

In my case it made a very big difference. I think it's worth a try even if your Warrior shock is fresh - just for the wheel travel gain. It's basically a no-foolin direct swap with the exception of mounting the res. I just hose clamped it to plastic by the frame (near the "350 Electric" sticker) - you could just tie-wrap it temporarily for a test session to see if you like it.

Old 03-06-2003 | 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the suggestion...i'm gonna give it a try.

Old 03-06-2003 | 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Cool - let me know how ya like it and if the difference is as noticable as it is with mine.

Old 03-06-2003 | 09:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies. I got on ebay looking for 01 raptor rear shocks and found none. But I did see quite a few front raptor shocks listed that they said would work on warriors. Has anyone done this or heard of this? Are they any better than stock warrior shocks? I hate to buy some and they not work or not be any better.

Old 03-07-2003 | 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I attempted (half heartedly) to put the Raptor fronts on too but they seemed too long. I think you could probably get them to fit but I didnt force it. I recall someone on this forum did it and said it felt real mushy !?! I dont know.....

Old 03-07-2003 | 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

actually, ive mounted my raptor shocks on. When you get them on the warrior sits with all its travel fully extended without any additional weight. You have to compress the raptor shock like half an inch to get it to fit. riding seemed fine...and i left it for several months before purchasing the works. your front will sit aliitle higher...but wheelies were easirer. lol

i wouldnt recommend it.