Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine safety switches(CDI)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2000, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a problem with my machine not starting using the push button, but i can bump start it. I've checked all the swithches and fuses and connections. I checked the wiring for bad spots and wear , didn't find anything. Went to the dealer to day and asked their oppinion, THey told me they have had a problem with safety switch circuitry in some of the cdi boxes. they also said there was a way to wire the solenoid to avoid the safety switches, anyone ever do this before?

Old 04-21-2000, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same type of problem with my '99, turned out to be a bad relay assembly back near the coil under the fender.....it's about as big as a piece of gum but cost $30.00 to replace.....runs like a charm now!

Old 04-21-2000, 10:47 AM
YJW
Weekend Warrior

If the nuetral light is on when you push the button and you don't hear the solonoid click, it could be: start switch, solonoid, neutral relay, cut relay, cdi box or main switch. I think the problem your dealer was discriping is one I've seen allot myself. It involves the circuit that prevents the starter from rolling when the emergency cut button is off. This circuit does involve the cdi box but I have found the problem to be the main switch in most cases. Moisture in the switch causes it to turn the power on but does NOT tuen the cut circuit on. It was extreamly hard to diagnoise at first because 1. it was intermintant 2. the switch is sealed 3. the circuit has high resistance so somtime unpluging and pluging wires would suddenly correct the problem. Easy way to diagnois is to hold the start button on while quickly turning the main switch on and off. If it starts, you need a main switch. You can also cut the switch apart.