Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tranny FIXED ! - a priceless moment.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Tranny FIXED ! - a priceless moment.....

I cant really tell from the picture, but yeah the rod is a bronze color. I hope you can get the cases fixed!

Old 03-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't think so. The part of the case above the hole is bowed out a touch and the surfaces don't mate at that point very well anymore. Obviously theres a big hole and it happened at one of the bolts. I can't imagine being able to reuse the cases. I just got done reading through your tranny swap. You don't even take apart the left side case where the rotor and stuff is. I am going to need to remove all of this also to put everything in the new cases. That means I will need a crank removal tool and crank installing tool. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2003, 08:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Do you think detonation is the culprit? I have the same internals as you......and under extreme load a couple weekends back, I heard detonation (the D word!) once. I have upped my octane since then and rejetted. I always run on the rich side....cooler and helps ward off detonation. Did you ever hear it? No-doubt it applies more load on the piston and rod.
On another note, I think I have a slight base gasket leak.....which is hard too believe since I went through a lotta trouble getting everything perfect upon assembly. Anyone had this trouble?

Old 03-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gary, Ive never heard any detonation, never seen any signs of it on my plug. I was running striat 100 octane when this happened. I normaly run 91 or a mix higher than that.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

How hot was your machine running when this happenned.....how hot does the machine normally run? This is'nt good....I was hoping detonation was your problem.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Gentlemen......today is St. Patricks day...manly men must drink green beer and work on their atv!

Old 03-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
Excellent Fisher, your experience sounds along the lines of mine.

Unfortunatly, I'm gonna have to find out sooner than I thought. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] My Raptor, not my wifes raptor that has not had the tranny replaced, but mine broke today. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I was at Dumont dunes today and the quad locked up on me, came to a skidding halt, (fortunatly I wasn't going to fast) I looked down and oil was puking out everywhere. Whatever got locked up in the gears and or kicked around in there broke through the bottom of the crank cases right where they join together, just in front of the gear shifter.

I'm going to go over the papers I got from Alba when they did the tranny to check for warrenty length but I'm sure it's been to long and if it wasn't a tranny gear part that broke, they would have my quad all tore apart and i'd still have to pay them for the tear down.

I'm beginning to NOT like Raptors. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] This thing is going to be sitting for a while, the cases alone are $575, plus gaskets, plus whatever broke, plus a crank puller and installer tool. Blah, Blah. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Im beginning to not like them either. My 2nd hasnt gone out yet. I found out that it was going to be 900$ for my mechanic to do it with parts. It isnt worth it to me. Im selling mine once its back together before that 2nd gear goes.

Why there was never a callback i dont know. &*%@ing Yamaha.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Gary,

It was in the low 60's that day and on and off rain. My Raptor has always ran on the cooler side. My fan almost never comes on. It is working. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] On cooler days it will not ever come on unless I am just plain putting along which is almost never. On hotter days when I stop for a break the fan may or may not come on, when it does its only on for 15 seconds or so.

My conclusion is the extra load put on it from the higher compression. Many others have failed after these mods. With mods comes less reliability without preventive measures. In this case stronger rods. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]