Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carillo Rod actually cause a loss in HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carillo Rod actually cause a loss in HP

So Bob, Mark. If you don't like the Carrillo rod then whats best to use? Why? Is there a better rod than stock and Carrillo? Which one? Why?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

A lightened carillo rod defeats the purpose of a carillo altogether. If you look at the design , there is only one place to lighten them, and that takes away structural integrity big time. So a lightened carillo rod? Stronger than stock? Yes. By much? No.

Wsh.....that's hush hush right now...maybe later our private source will be revealed...but don't count on it anytime soon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Btw..I'm Ryan, not Bob..LOL

Old 03-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Damn, I get you two mixed up everytime. LOL RRC, RCR one of you needs to change your name. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Well, hush hush does me no good. My stock rod went through my cases the other day on a stock bore 11:1. I'm tearing things down now and will need to replace the rod, Carrillo was what I was going to do. My stock rod didn't last 3 months. Why would I want to go with stock again? I'll be a full 102mm bore 686 once it's back together. I was at 53 hp before. With a real 686 and a Craycraft port job I was hoiping to get close to 60hp or more. If the carrillo is going to rob me of a few ponies then I'm sorta defeating my goal.

I won't tell, hook me up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Wsh..for what you're trying to do...the carillo should be fine. If you had never read this post or found out this info, you wouldn't have known anyways. Out of sight out of mind?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
If I were in your position..I would definitely get the carillo. You've experienced something most of us haven't..and you don't want to experience it again. Carillo would be the way to go. JMO

Old 03-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I did not see you said "ounces" That was my mistake. Sorry for that.

As for helping me out..yes, you gave me a part number. I did not have a sudco book in front of me. I had to look in the sudco book to make sure it was right anyways. Yeah you helped me out...I help people out every day..but I don't act like I gave them the world and hold it over their head when they disagree with me.

I don't have a problem with anyone on these forums..but there is SO MUCH wrong information posted here...there's only so much you can read before you have to jump in.

We're all here to help each other out right?

Old 03-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well Ryan, that is your opinion. I just thought I'd tell everyone in case they wanted to know. there has never been a broken one, they look like they're holding up fine too me. But I do agree, 55 grams off does kind of defeat the whole "peace of mind" that most people are looking for with the carillo rod. I THINK it would be ok.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

You're not supposed to reveal your secrets to being the fastest...or you will never be the fastest. That's my opinion[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

airraptor...notice I said CAR MOTOR. It was food for thought. But hey..you go on doing your own thing. I'll go back to being quiet and not saying anything..we'll see what happens in the next month. The countdown has begun...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

WSHRDSKN- When my rod goes the first time i will probably get a carrillo. I ran 2 years with no failures on the first on. We ride and race all the time. To me if you lighten a carrilo rod you maight as well stay with a stocker I have had the rod in my hands and looked it over. At this point and time i would not tear my motor apart just to put a carrilo rod in. But like i said when it goes i most likely will. I have rod fear i guess. You screwed either way IMO. I have seen a few raptors with big bad vibration issues. Those had carrilo rods. One was bad enough that it broke motor mounts etc. Maybe it was all due to workmanship on the assembly of the crank??

Air- Bottom line you have less hp and can't stand it. I have helped you before so do you keep score or what????? I help tons of people on these boards if i can.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Airaptor you do not have a clue. By the way a call was made to your favorite shop for a TI rod. No one knew anything about it. lol You are the first that does not want max hp.

The rod?? I do not say do not use one. You have to make your own opinion on that.

By the way i have my own accounts all over. If it goes in a rappy i got it handled. I do not need anyone to help me on that end.

Quick Reply: Carillo Rod actually cause a loss in HP