Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Carillo Rod actually cause a loss in HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carillo Rod actually cause a loss in HP

Thanks Airraptor,

I am going with a Carrillo rod, I will be ordering it this week.

CT.

I was going slow. Actauly we were out in the dunes, had just stopped for a break. Started it up and went to take off. Don't think i even got to second gear, can't recall.

I personaly believe that part of small end of the rod had already broke off and was bouncing around in the crank area for the last couple trips. I was having starter noise problems and contibuted the excess engine noise to my one way bearing. I know, I'm stupid and should have opened things up to see what was up. Even had I done that I wouyld have found that my 1 way bearings is in great shape and would have went riding again on the next weekend. I would never have thought the crank rod was falling apart. If you look at the pictures, one part of the small end would have stayed on the piston pin when the other portion broke free. Then the rest of the rod broke free a few trips later. This is all just mu own opinion but somthing was making a little noise in there and this is whats broke. The crank lobes have some gouges in thewm from this piece bouncing around imo. Either way i should have opened things up much sooner and I might have saved myself a few bucks by doing so. The only way I can look at it now is, I've gained some experience in tearing my motor apart and don't have to pay labor costs anymore. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have another 01 raptor that will need an 02 tranny conversion sooner or later, so I'll get back $800 when that time comes by doing the work myself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2003, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: smitty911
As a certifired level II inspector for Ultrasonic, Liquid Penetrant and Mag. Particle, I can talk quite abit about Cracks and how to find them.First you will need to have the rod Magna Flexed this should be done with a WET Florecent method to aircraft standards this will not only reveal any cracks but also impurities in the metal inself. This is for ferros metal Ti will need Liquid Pen done to reveal any cracks.After you have a good rod than do the machining and cyro balance or any other process. Before you shot peen the rod have it re inspected to ensure that no cracks are there after any machining process. Shot peen and install at that point. If you have any other questions about how to find Cracks let me know.Smitty
Good info.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

All,

When the manufactures NDT inspect parts (IF they NDT inspect them) they will use a sampling of the total lot randomly picked. They are probably just going with Material certs. and than a tolarance check.

For you however, Have the parts NDT if they are steel Magna Flux wet method Florecent. This will pick up the smallest indication so it can be further examined.

If the parts are SS, Ti, Aluminum you will need to do a Liquid Penetrant test. Once again to florecent level III sensitivity. This will allow for the smallest indication to be further examined.

Ultrasonics and the part configuration will not work well on Pistons, connecting rods, cranks,, etc. You can ultrasonic a block but that would be a waste of money as the test wouldn't show you anything. Stick to the above.

The order I would do everything.

1. Inspect part before any modification.
2. machine part
3. re-inspect to make sure no machining induced problems. This has to be weighed against the cost of the part and the potential for failure.
4. You don't want to shot peen the parts until after the inspection process as it may close over some small cracks.
5. Polish, shot peen, Cryo, what ever other process you want.
6. Inspect part after final processes to ensure that you part is good before installing.

There is also a ultrasonic process that does the same as the Cyro treatment.

Smitty