Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help me choose a GPS unit.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a GPS unit.....

I have it narrowed down to a few I think.. Let me know what you guys know and like or dislike about these units.
Magellan: Sportrax Pro, Meridian Platinum
Garmin: eTrex Legend, rino 110, rino 120
Using it mostly out in the woods in the areas we ride, alot in ohio and west virgina, would like to have the speedometer features and decent memory, and mapping. what do you guys suggest??

Old 03-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

I use the E-Trex Vista unit; good amount of memory and very good for the trails.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Regular ; read YELLOW; Etrex. Was kinda cofusing at first, but the video with it helped alot. I've used it several times and find its a blast. You never travel in as straight a line as you think you do. The more expensive units have memory for loading maps, but all the detail on the screen sometimes makes it harder to figure out where you actually are. I have a friend who had the one that he could download the maps too. I bought the regular Etrex and decided that if I wanted too later, I would upgrade as these things are getting pretty hot and some neat new ones are comming out. SO>>> Decide if you want just one to use for a long time, or one for a year or two then upgrade. They all basicly do the same thing and don't let the fact that one gets to as close as five feet, vs one that gets to 15 or even 30 ft. Your not dropping bombs with it! I find mine to be very accurate. Certainly accurate enough to not loose my campsite, or where I parked my truck!
Their fun to use and the altimeter feature is fun too! Esp. when travling by car.
Have fun navigating!

Old 03-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, I am leaning twords a garmin unit, I can get a better deal on one of them at the time being. I like the eTrex legend I think. How much can the 8MB hold as far as maps and extras go? I see the vista has 24MB, but is 100 bucks more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Keep the replies comming!

Old 03-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garmin makes the best GPS IMO. I have the basic e trex.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Garmin Etrex Vista (silver) = digital compass (very nice feature) and nice mapping = my choice of the Walmart stuff.....

Old 03-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

I think I want to stay in the 250 range, I really like the Vista, but would rather not spend the extra 100, so should I go with the legend?

Old 03-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

why do the gps manufacturers not put a thermometer on a gps???? It seems like a no-brainer.....

Maybe they have,,,,,,I couldnt find one a few years back

I have a magellan 615 or something (the one without the street map on the screen)

It works fine for me (unless im in heavy cover)

I just clip it right to her camelbak for easy viewing

Old 03-28-2003, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider

Garmin GPS III+ or V with a Ram mount for the bars and a 12v outlet on your left fender wired to the battery.

Old 03-28-2003, 02:48 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BlueLeader
Garmin GPS III+ or V with a Ram mount for the bars and a 12v outlet on your left fender wired to the battery.
Yes - Garmin makes the shi'ite - its the best and easiest GPS to use out there. Makes good!! I love my GPS III+

Quick Reply: Help me choose a GPS unit.....