Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

? on oil change/reading/amount

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on oil change/reading/amount

changed the oil last night along with the oil filter. i put 1 and 1/3 quarts in and ran it for 15 seconds. added the rest of the second quart. ran it for about 3 minutes. Got the oil level reading. It was 1/3 it the "ok" area. I just let it go and didnt add more. This morning when i checked it and ran it it was at a little less than the bottom of the ok level. I added half a quart and now it it back to 1/3 in the ok area. What is the right amount of oil to put in?

why did i get a different reading in the morning than in the night. did i hurt anything by running it with only 2 quarts? thanks for the help in advance. Warrior86

Old 04-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to read low when the oil is cold and as the oil heats up the level will rise.Mine takes just a hair over two qts. to fill. You might have a little to much oil in there now.

Old 04-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

go into your manual or go online and find out how much oil your quad takes. it should say right in your manual or type in specs of your quads into google. or your best bet if you dont have a manual is ask your dealer. just put in that amount and it should be in the ok range. theres many ways of finding out how much oil your quad uses without guessing.

Old 04-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

2.55qts total

Old 04-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

well thats the thing..it gives an amount for just a random oil change...then it gives an amount for oil change with filter (which is what i did) and then it gives a total. Whats teh difference between the total and just a change with a filter. The change with filter is about 2 quarts but the total is 2.4 approx. Whats with that.

Well now its basically at the top when its warm and i added so theres about 2.4 in there now. I didnt read it when it was super hot before i added more so i dont know what level it was at with just the two. Do you think i hurt anything with only 2 quarts? Is 2 quarts guaranteed to be in the safe zone, weather its in the lower portion or not. Is two quarts safe?

thanks so much for the replies, warrior86

Old 04-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your fine.

When I do my oil changes with filter It takes about 2.4 quarts.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

ok cool

but do you think running it with only 2 quarts hurt anything?
thanks

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

no one has an opinion on this? how little do you have to have for it to do damage. I heard that the lowest area in the ok zone is a little higher than whats is actually where the danger zone starts. i heard they do this as kind of a buffer for mistakes. I think they do the same thing with gas tanks in cars?

Old 04-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

Ok in the manual it says the amount for just a oil change and then a oil change with filter then a total amount. Right? The total amount is for when you split the cases on the motor to tear it down. I always just put 2 quarts of oil in it and have never had a problem. When checking your oil you should check it several times like 4-6 times I bet 90% of the time you will get a differant reading each time. Its the same on all DRY SUMP motors. My XR was the same and my wifes 400ex is the same and the new Z-400, KFX 400, DRZ 400. Its just the things you need to do with a dry sump. check the oil today at least 6 times and you might have to take some out or you may be fine. too much oil means higher pressure which may hurt your motor. Just always check it a few times before adding or subtracting oil.

Old 04-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks, thats the post im lookin for. I have about 2.4 in it now and when i read it lat it was about 3.4 up without the dipstick being screwed in..and tha was after riding for about an hour...so im good right...damn dry sump engines. I always am so paranoid cause when i had the warrior id do it and it would be perfect and id ride it and the day later id be like, hey let me check my oil, and it would be either way high or practically empty. There so damn inconsistant.

Would i be correct if i said a good rule of thumb is...between 2 quarts and 2.4 your safe...probably 2.2 being the best?

thanks, you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable you make me look like a ditzy 18 yr old girl