Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor chain and sprocket question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003 | 02:09 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Raptor chain and sprocket question

Need so info please.... My best friend has a Rappy that we are about to change the sprockets.

How do we know how much wear is on the chain ???? Is there such a thing as a measurement
over so many pins to determine the amount of stretch ????

Thanks

Old 04-11-2003 | 02:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its hard for me to explain, but I'll try. Grab the chain one the very back of the rear sproket. If you can pull the chain off the sproket enough to see most of the link then the chain is worn out.

Old 04-11-2003 | 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

and look at your sprockets. if they are worn in one direction, the chain is shot. should be no sharp edges.
Wards right, tension the chain, and if you can pull it off the rear sprocket, its shot.
just oil it after you wash it EVERY TIME and it'll last for years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

hope this helps ya

oh man, forgot, if you are changing sprockets, then change the chain! the chain is what wears out the sprockets!
get yer new rear sprocket and lay that chain on it. i'll bet it doesnt quite fit.

see yas

Old 04-11-2003 | 03:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, if your chaning sprokets for wear, always do all three at one time.

Old 04-11-2003 | 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

I second that (or third that). You should change all three, both sprockets and chain, at the same time. If your chain is stretched at all, your new sprockets will wear to match it almost immediately. Do not buy an aluminum or alloy rear sprocket for a big 4-stroke unless you are using it for just drag racing. They will wear out VERY fast.

Once you have a complete system, there is a way to tell when your chain has passed it's useful life. You measure the distance between a certain number of links. Call your (aftermarket) chain manufacturer to find out the distance and the number of links to measure. Also, if your teeth on the sprocket start to deform or curve, time to spend some more $$. Good Luck!

RR1

Old 04-11-2003 | 07:22 AM
|
Pro Rider

You all have been very very helpful .... Thanks !

I will print these responces and give them to my Friend.

From what you have alll said ... I think this chain still has a lot of life in it.

This bike came with a 13 / 40 tooth sprockets. He installed 20" tires on it ... so we
changed the sprockets to 11 / 42 to get the final ratio back to about where it started.
( We do a lot of riding in some pretty steep and ruff trails )

I measured this chain from pin to pin over about a 6 inch distance .... and compared that
to a new chain .... it has only streached about .030 .... and the sprockets are not pointed ....
so I think we are good to go for a while longer

Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2003 | 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

anytime we can help, feel free to ask a question. you wont get flamed by me. or many others.

Old 04-11-2003 | 08:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raptor8
anytime we can help, feel free to ask a question. you wont get flamed by me. or many others.
Its good to see that there are still plenty of members that help and answer questions instead of pushing thier opinions on others and cussing out those who disagree. I am with you raptor8, may the spirit of the sport not be tainted by flamers.

Old 04-11-2003 | 08:21 AM
|
Pro Rider

I am very grateful the help I have found at this Forum. Yes.... there are some dumb flamers ....

But they are out numbered by the many good people willing to offer their experence to answer questions,
and help solve problems.

Thanks to everyone that fits in the group [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2003 | 08:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Glad i could help to, if I did. But one question, you said
This bike came with a 13 / 40 tooth sprockets. He installed 20" tires on it ... so we
ok 13/40 is stock gearing, so smaller tires would need a smaller front sproket, BUT 20" tires are stock too. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Raptor chain and sprocket question