Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help pulling my new trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help pulling my new trailer!

Yeah I'll admit that the new chevy trucks are butt ugly too. Looks like the next truck I'll get will be a ford, next thing you know I'll be trading in my banshee for a honda. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Ok well I'll never get that desperate. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

I was towing with my buddies enclosed trailer and it was kickin my Expeditions *** with the wind buffeting and I decided to go with a open trailer for the quads. I went to shop for one and
looked at the aluminum triton quad trailers with the lift gates. I then saw some of the car trailers and fell in love with one. All black one with chrome wheels and diamond plate all over.
It even had attached ramps and a dove tail, it just looked so much better I decided to get it. So now I can tow my race cars and my quads with the same trailer, no wind buffeting and its not very heavy at all.
I got it yesterday and just bolted 2000 lb flip up hooks for strapping the quads down..

Trailer Pic 1

Trailer Pic 2

It now tows like there is nothing there![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2003, 05:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Z,,, that is a nice combo, and well balanced.

I am happiest when the cap is on my truck (w/ladder rack),,,,the boat (12' jon boat) is on the rack,,,,and the trailer in tow (a true monorail setup). With this,,,I am real smooth on the highway,,,very aerodynamic and balanced. Effortless to drive. (best fuel economy) (I usually take the boat if im hauling the trailer any distance on the highway. (the boat uside down on the rack equals the trailer height) (The fuel economy and drivability is worth the effort)

same with the truck camper/trailer combo,,,,except for the added little bit of top heavy feeling, and wind sheer (when applicable)

When the truck is empty, and the trailer in tow,,,,,,it is at its worst,,,,but still very managable (because 3/4 ton).

I feel that it is very important to match the rig to the trailer!!!! Anything less is unsafe. Nothing wrong with overkill.

I would hate to see you try and stop suddenly on a good grade, in a fresh spring (pollen) rain, with a very fully loaded trailer (say 3400lbs) and an empty truck. You would end up needing a new rig anyway. Will you be haulin your family in this rig?????

Honestly, if you plan to use (keep) the ranger, you should just get a flatbed trailer. Or keep the enclosed and get a truck to match it.

You just got a little too much trailer.

So did we a couple years ago,,,,,,thats why we no longer have a Wrangler. (you should see a wrangler try and pull our fully loaded trailer)

good luck

Old 04-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

If your ranger is like mine then on the passenger side where the air cleaner is take the whole air box off and you'll see a snorkel shaped like an L going inside the fender. Junk it, it's VERY restrictive. Secondly drill some holes around the pod BEFORE the air filter. This all will help give you some more air flow and more torque. My ranger only has a 2.3 in it but after I did these mods to it I was very impressed with the torque gained. Also have you ever considered giving your truck a tune up and changin the fuel, air, and oil filters? Just a thought, every little bit helps.

Old 04-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

Mr45 did the 250s you drove have the camper package? Those do ride about the same as the 350s but without it they ride much better. I'm talking 4x4s also, the only way to go.
The camper package comes into play with a load only, it consists of a single leaf overload. I had a F-250 crewcab 4wd and the thing rode exactly the same as every F-250 or F-350 I have ever driven. Hopping from one to the other, I could not tell the difference. So, if someone were going to buy a fullsize Ford, go with the 1 ton, the extra 1100 pounds of legal payload is a nice option.

Old 04-29-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

The closed trailor is killing you more than your ride. i had an isuzu rodeo (V6) that i was using to pull a landscaping trailor (6x8). worked fine except windy days. i could feel that thing working hard. i had just paid it off and went 6K over my warranty when i blew the engine. Bam! $5000 for a used in engine, installed. out-o-pocket!

i can't imagine pulling a closed trailor on a windy day.

my new ride: 03 4runner limited (loaded) with the lexus V8 i-Force and nav package. $38K. The way i figured it. after dumping 5K into a vehicle that was not suited for the job. i could'nt afford not to be in a vehicle with a V8.

if you make it through the year...consider yourself lucky. but get yourself in a new vehicle as soon as you can.

Old 04-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a 1997 F-250 Powerstroke about a year ago for $11500, that thing pulls damn good and not towing anything I get 18 miles to the gallon. Oh did I mention it is 4 wheel drive and automatic.

Save your money and get one!

Old 04-29-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

save your money..is the right thing to do! dont get a chip...they only kick in at wide open throttle!!! Check out a Jacobs Ignition System...more power and better mileage...or your money back! I have one on both of my trucks...it will b money well spent...till ya get a diesel [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And jus like your bikes...get a K&N too!

Old 04-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

Why not just buy a small block chevy crate engine and a 700 r4 and never worry again.. Total cost around $2500..

Old 04-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Small block Chevy and tranny in a Ford Ranger. Waste of time and money. The truck is too small for the enclosed trailer, plain and simple. Bling has it correct, either get a flat bed trailer for now or bite the bullet and get a new truck.

Quick Reply: Need help pulling my new trailer!