Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Problem with Raptor. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Raptor. HELP

I was wondering if any of you guys with a raptor ever had a problem with the ignition. Yesterday my raptor died and wouldn't start up again. Sounds like starter is slipping. Took it apart and the starter don' t look like its the kind that pop out to grab the sproket to spin crank to start. Don't know what it could be. Have you guys ever gone through this or got any advise on what it is and what to do?

Thanx

Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Slipping, sorry to be the bearrer of bad news but its probably your one way bearring. Do a search on it for more info, but I would be willing to bet thats the problem.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:05 AM
Trailblazer

Yea i think thats what it is. But not exactly sure. Is there some screws holding it together or is it just magnitised. How much do they run for? What causes this?

Bike still starts up if you push start it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2003, 04:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The one way is behind the flywheel, it is actually bolted to the backside of it. It rides on a gear that is freespinning on the crankshaft. When you press the start button your starter turns a gear in between these two. The one way, obviously, only lets the gear it rideson spin in one direction. When your starter engages it turns the motor over by letting the one way grab the gear and si bolted to the flywheel, thus starting the motor. What happens, this is alot easier to understand after seeing it, is the little things inside that only let it turn one way get chewed up for whatever reason. Eventually it will not grab in either direction. Raptor Tranny .com has a couple pics and a parts break down of it, that will help make more sense of what I am rambling about.

Did any of that make sense??LOL

There is a new designed one that is supposed to be comming out this summer, I think, that is supposed to last forever. IfI remember right it goes for $200. A new one way is probably around $150, I think.

Old 04-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

great, all that starter stuff sounds like were in for more $ just cause somone never did it right in the first place!

Old 04-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Trailblazer

Exactly how does this work? Is there a key or screw or something that makes the one way bearing turn the cranck housing (balancer) and then release the sprocket on the inside . What makes it turn together? What holds it together?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its REALLY hard to explain, but I'll try. Try to find a good picture of one to look at and it will help even more.

Start at the fly wheel, it keeps from turning on the crank with a key. On the back of the flywheel is your one way bearring. It bolts to the flywheel with six allen bolts. Then that whole peice slips over the end of the crank shaft. There is a gear the spins freely on the crank behind ( behind being closer to the engine ) the flywheel/one way. This gear has a needle bearring or a bushing ( it depends on which year Raptor ) between it and the crank shaft. When you slip the one way on the crank it actually rest on a lip that is part of this gear. This gear connects to your starter by means of an idler gear. Ok now the difficult part. The one way's bottom "bearring race" is slotted. In the slots are little egg shaped peices called sprags. The sprags rest in the grooves of the slots and are held on to it by a spring. All of the sprags touch each other. Because of the shape of them and constant pressure of the spring, they only allow the gear it rides on to turn in one direction. When it tries to go in the opposite direction they kind of grip the lip on the gear that it rides on.

OK so when the starter turns, by means of the idler gears, it turns the gear that the one way rides on in the same direction that the motor noramly turns while running. Because the one way is bolted to the flywheel. While the motor is running the one way allows the gear to free spin so it doesn't damage the starter.

I hope that helped. It might have been more than you wanted, but if it is less let me know and I'll try some more.

Maybe I didn't miss anything.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

How do i fix this? Do just replace the one way bearing? Is that the only thing wrong or do i need to also get screws, keys, etc?

Old 04-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You need to look at it first to determine if that is for sure the problem and what needs to be fixed if it is. If it is, for sure , the problem then you could need a few things or maybe just a couple. You can buy a new one way and replace it, or if you can find an old one you can rebuild the one you have now. The gear it rides on might also needs replacing, mine does. The best bet would be to order a one way and just replace it.

The problem with the gear is when the motor "kicks back" when starting it, it pushes the sprags backwards and tries to crush them. The sprags and and the gear take the abuse. It chews up the place where the sprags make contact with the gear. If it is worn out and you don't replace it, the sprags will be rubbing against this and wear out quickly again. So you really need to look at everything first. You will need a hyarmonic balancer puller to get the flywheel off, but that is the only special tool.

Again if you need any more help just say so.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2003, 03:24 AM
Trailblazer

What size are the 3 screws to pull it out with a puller? let me know. thanx