Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New rear brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rear brakes question

Hey,

well my new titax rear brake rotor came in today. and i've finally got the caliper working correctly, and the pads installed. but here's the deal. the new rotor is a tad thicker than the old one (old one is probably worn down a little). the problem is, that with new pads, and a new rotor, it's hard to get the rotor to fit between the pads. i've pushed the caliper piston back as far as i could, but it still sticks out around 1/8". does the piston need to be lubricated? can it go back any farther?

i could just force everything to fit, but the rear brakes will be dragging if i ride it. i don't want to over heat my new rotor and warp it. should i put the old rotor (slightly warped) back on, and let the pads wear down a little before i put the new rotor on? what should i do?

thanks,
bigmac

Old 04-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

get a c-clamp and push the piston in a wee bit more. You should be able to slide the pads in then.

-nick

Old 04-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

i used the c-clamp to push the piston back in, and it won't go any farther. that's why i was wondering if the piston can be lubricated somehow. maybe it needs some help to go back a little farther.

also, i can get the pads in no problem. but to slide the rotor in between the pads takes some work. if i install everything like this, the pads will be dragging against the rotor. i just don't want to over heat the rotor and warp my $50.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

any thoughts? i'm planning to work on this tomorrow afternoon, so i'd like to have a few suggestions.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 04-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have the emergency brake hooked up? If so, make sure you loosen it all the way up so you can push the piston all the way in. It's been awhile for me since I had mine. I think there is a locking nut and a bolt. Loosen the locking nut and then loosen the bolt.

/NotuRaptor

Old 04-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

i'm not sure if the e-brake is hooked up or not. when i bought the quad the rear brakes weren't hooked up at all. can you describe how the e-brake works? or what a parking brake block off plate looks like?

i know there is a long bolt that screws into the back of the caliper (towards the piston). i removed that bolt before i used the c-clamp to push the piston back in. also, the caliper was removed, so there isn't any fluid in it.

thanks,
bigmac

Old 05-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have covered the bases.

The last thing I would try is lightly opening the bleeder valve while you are applying pressure with the C-clamp. Some fluid will come out and you might need to bleed your brakes. The piston should go totally flush.

An e-brake block off plate is just a small machined aluminum piece that installs on the back of the brake caliper after you remove all the parking brake crap. You can buy one for less than $20 from any of the vendors in the magazines.

/Jon