Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly C.V. shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly C.V. shaft

Does anyone know where to get a front C.V. shaft or just the outer joint kit? My buddy had his up in the UP muddin and knocked his boot off in a mud hole. He didn't notice till the noise started. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2003, 05:20 AM
Pro Rider

hey there,

I would check out Myers in Ishpeming, MI. Ask for DON. Great honest guy and will get ya the quote that you need. They do great work and run the cheapest shop rates that i have seen. Would be worth bringing back to the UP to fix. For that matter...........when it is done, i will go ride with ya!

Jonathan

Old 05-11-2003, 09:38 AM

if you mod you're going to break more than one, my first complaint about the grizzly. I'm not sure if there is an upgrade version of the front CV shaft for the Grizzly but if there is your buddy shold seriously consider investing in it, it will save him money in the long run because those shafts are not cheap,

Patrick

Old 05-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Range Rover

hey aftonjay what kind of noise did the cv joint make when it went up. i am just curious so i know what to listen for. thanks.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

frogman( jonathan),
good to see ya again!!! looks like the snow is finally melting, and you coming out of hibernation?(sp)
well, hows it going? grizzly doing good for ya?
looking foward to some more summer stories from ya this year, lol. some people have been asking bout you and your stories, lol!
good to see ya on.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there Mich~~~~~

Yes, i have been in hibernation! lol

The snow is finally gone, but they say that we might just get another snow on Monday~ YUCK.

I havent done much riding this winter, except plowing the drive. I used the griz the whole year and was able to keep the drive nice and clean. I cant believe how well the bike did in the snow. The trails are open, but really, REALLY deep water on them. Most of the rivers are unpassable right now. I will be going out this next weekend to check the trails and do some cleaning up. I have a couple of beaver dam's that have to be knocked out and alot of trees that need to be moved/cut off the trails.

The state does a good job with regular trails, but we have several private trails that we use to connect the public ones. Those are the ones that need the work.

I hope to have some stories this year! Thanks for asking/think'n about us Upper's!!!!

Jonathan

Old 05-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

ATCFAN It made pretty much the same noise a car does clicking and crunching when turning. Thanks for the info guys. Xcelr8 the shaft didn't break I think that is more of a problem on the 03's for some reason. His actually came apart when a stick or something knocked the boot off and didn't notice till it was too late. But he has been trying to find an aftermarket one. I think I might get the kevlar boots for mine to avoid the same problem. From what I have seen the problem with the guards like the oxlite and such is that when the wheel is turned they offer very little protection much like the stock plastic ones.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer

AFJ, Gorilla Axle makes one heck of an axle for his Grizz. They are alot stronger than stock! I have broken several stock axles myself. I am under a 2 yr warranty with Yamaha, so they can replace them all they want LOL I have broken them with stock tires as well as the 27" tires. Its not a tire problem. The axles were changed from 2002 and 2003. Take a look for yourself. The 02 axles are smaller in diameter. The 03's are larger.... leaning more towards design flaw than just tires. To make matters more interesting. After you break the sam axle twice, why does Yamaha supercede and replace it with one that looks just like an 02?

Gorilla Axle Website

Hope this helps ya.

Old 05-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

NCMudder.....

That is weird that you break those axles. I have over 2000 miles on my bike and through some of the roughest riding that can be done....never snapped one yet! Then again....i have the 02 models. I have rolled my bike 6 times and flipped it end-over-end twice...... Guess i just got lucky!

Thanks for the website.....will still check it out!

Jonathan

Old 05-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

All of my buds with 02's havent had any axle probs. Its the 03's that are being a pain in the butt.

Quick Reply: Grizzly C.V. shaft