Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior carb problems? or timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior carb problems? or timing?

thanks for all your help scott. i will check out the website @ Mikuni. good luck in St. Louis

Old 05-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

big problem, i broke the little clip "Try not to bend the metal piece - it controls the fuel level and is important for tuning later on"how important is this clip again? can i do without it? the dealer does not sell it without the needle seat. thanks scott

Old 05-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that clip is crucial. IT will not run right with out it. You may beable to purchase a clip that is supposed to be used on another part of the carb, i.e cable connection behinde the face plate. If all else fail PM me, i am sure i have a few of those from my rebuild kit.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

i've been working on the carb for my '97 Warrior. i have a annoying off-idle stalling problem. adjusting the fuel mixture screw doesn't seem to do much. so i may check to make sure the pilot jet is clean, even though it idles decently. but where is the accelerator pump located at? i may try the ink pen spring trick. also, what's the best way to test if you're rich/lean at idle-1/4 throttle?

also, if you have a mid-range stumbling condition, my experience is that this is caused by the needle jet, and not the float height. i always thought the float/needle-seat assembly controlled the amount of fuel in the bowl, but has nothing to do with how much of that fuel goes to the motor, that's the job of the jets. (am i wrong?). if you get to the point of adjusting the jet needle, moving the clip position up one notch will lean the mixture, and should get rid of the mid-range stumbling; it worked for me.

later,
bigmac

Old 05-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Bigmackloud -

The accellerator pump is located in the float cover, and it's shaft sticks up into the carb body, where it's actuated by a lever attached to the throttle/butterfly (where the throttle cable mates to the carb).

If you've modded (exhaust, cam or other) you might need to change not just the idle mixture but go to a different pilot jet as well.

Also, on the float levels, I can confirm that the float height is a LOT more critical on this carb than most others. I messed with different needle positions to no avail, then when I lowered the fuel level in my float bowl I was able to dial up the perfect mixture and transition with throttle. Go figure... I know it sounds strange. The link to the Mikuni carb tuning guide has some detail on this I believe... good luck...

Old 05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Blaster96 if you have an extra lying around that would be great. thanks

Old 05-21-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I will check the shop tomorrow. I hope i can help a fellow '87 warrior get rolling agian.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

i'll buy your lunch. thanks Blaster96

Old 05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

were you able to locate a needle/float clip schipster?

Old 05-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Blaster96 i think is going to look for one for me. if you think you have one let me know

Quick Reply: warrior carb problems? or timing?