Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior carb problems? or timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior carb problems? or timing?

unfortunately I don't... my dealer said it came with the float (forgot to email you that info lst night). My dealer is a small town one though - can't confirm or deny. I think the float assembly is ~$38. Let me know if you get stuck, we'll figure something out...!

Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, all i have are carb washers and e-clips, not the spring clip.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

Dieselgeek and Blaster96, you guys rock!! I ,too, own a 87 Warrior, and made the mistake of using it as a submarine last weekend! Not too long after it started bogging down and stalling. After many frustrating attempts to figure out the problem, I decided to check these forums. I followed the advice you guys gave schipster, including the steps to cleaning out the carb, and low and behold, I had about two tablespoons of mud in there! Now she's running like a top, amazing for a sixteen year old quad! I'm glad there is somewhere a rookie can turn to for help, greatly apreciated.

Old 05-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Diablo - I grew up in Ft. Wayne, IN - you area few hours away from my hometown!

I'm glad we cuold help. Althuogh let me clarify, I'm no expert... just a shadetree mechanic at best. I am sure there are much more knowledgable ATV mechanics than me reading these forums - THEY JUST NEED TO POST UP!!! Thanks for letting us know, nice to know someone benefitted from the time I spent posting.

One final tuning note. Last night I picked up the last of the parts I'd ordered from the dealer (air filter cage, throttle cable guide, etc.) so I made one final adjustment on the carb while it was out of the ATV - I leaned out the idle airscrew slightly (1/4 turn out). and I bent the float/nedle clip so that there was less fuel in the bowl. The Wolverine was running great except for a slight stumble at part-throttle... the needle would normally be suspect, but it was in the factory position where it used to run just fine - I found some posts about the float level in these carbs can cause this symptom, so I lowered the floats. Magically, once it was back together, there was NO stumble ANYWHERE. And I mean, you can sit at idle and SLAM the throttle wide open, it revs without a sputter or stumble. We took it for an hour-long trail ride with some steep, slow hills - part throttle works beautifully. I'm glad I spent the time figuring this carb out, because the machine runs so damn good now it's better than it's ever been since I've owned it...

Old 05-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Dieselgeek,

I actually just moved back to Lafayette from Fort Wayne. I lived up there for about two years, great city, had to move because my wife got a job here in town. I still have alot of good friends in Fort Wayne and surrounding area. We lived on the northeast side off of Dupont road. Sounds like that float adjustment would be a worthwhile improvement. I don't have any stumbling at any point, but will keep that in mind. I'll probably be putting on a pipe, so I'll be re-jetting the carb too. Any advice? Hows that Wolverine treated you? I've thought about getting an affordable used utility, and it's probably at the top of my list. Once again, thanks for all the help.

oh yeah, did schiptster get his fixed? Hope so, cuz it sucks to be down!

Old 05-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

Diablo -

I grew up in New Haven on the east end of town. On Minnich road to be exact. I had relatives that lived in Windmill Ridge off Dupont Road, though, and we went up to Lake James in Angola very often. I also flew out of smith field sometimes, but I heard it's getting shut down (or has been already).

Schipster is still hunting down a float clip, but he'll get it going soon enough. I'm sure his prob is the same as ours.

Carb Rejetting: I once took the Wolverine to Colorado and had problems - so I talked to a Yamaha mechanic in Boulder who said to lower the needle one position, and isntall a smaller mainjet. Worked like a charm!! I've rejetted motorcycles for pipes before - just follow the tuning guide, it should be a piece of cake AND improve power significantly. I know a big problem is people who install intake and exhaust mods then don't rejet - usually they're down on power.

I love my Wolverine. I think it's the perfect balance of a sport/utility quad. I don't push snow with it, and I don't take it to Glamis :-) I do a lot of woods trail riding and some hillclimbing, and find it to be as sure-footed as a mountain goat.

We use it as a pit bike at some of the drag racs we attend. It will tow a 3300 pound vehicle on pavement EASILY, so it's no slouch. We blew a motor in our Wild Street car at the semifinals of World Ford Challenge last weekend, and towed back to the pits... bummed out...

Anyways, nice to meet you. Let me know how your rejetting project goes. I'd guess you'll need a different mainjet and adjusted clip position on the needle...

-scott

Old 05-23-2003, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

Diesekgeek,

that sucks! sorry to hear about your motor failure. I assume you'll just build her even stronger! I'm not suprised on the towing capacity of your bike, I pull a little trailor around our land with my Warrior, sometimes grossly overloaded, but she just trucks along without a problem. I'm still trying to decide on what pipe to get, and also debating on if I should with the age of my motor. A few people have told me its a bad idea, and a few have told me it won't be a problem. Trial and error I guess.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to the local dealer to get the needle and seat. they dont sell the clip seperate. i dont know how i would have put it back on anyway. the old dog is running again. i have yet to put her all back together to give a test run, but i believe she is running very strong. no misses when i gas it. one more question for 87 owners, on the air filter box cover, mine has holes in it. is this factory for my year? everyone talks about drilling holes in theirs. thanks.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on getting her back up and running! Sounds like shes ready for some fun. My 87 Warrior does not have any holes in the airbox lid, and its never seen any mods. Does yours have a aftermarket pipe and filter, is your jetting different? Maybe someone before you wanted some more HP.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

the pipe and filter is stock. i am not sure why the lid was changed out. all that matters is shes running now. it has been almost a year since ive been on. i do have one question for you and everyone else. how many turns out is standard on the idle screw? thanks.

Quick Reply: warrior carb problems? or timing?