Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior carb problems? or timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior carb problems? or timing?

Schipster- I've never went by amount of turns, but rather by sound. Maybe somebody else knows the actual amount of turns and will reply? Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

The service guide says to start with two full turns OUT on the pilot airscrew. Remember turning OUT (counterclockwise) will "lean" out the mixture because the pilot airscrew is actually allowing more AIR (not fuel) to get into the cylinder. The pilot Jet is what meters the idle fuel.

So that I could tune the airscrew with the carb still on the ATV, I just used a small flat-blade bit for a nut driver. It's about an inch long and has a slotted end, you can relatively easily get ths up into the airscrew and adjust it while the ATV is running. Even a short screwdriver is too long for this.

I adjusted mine for fastest idle speed, then went 1/4 turn rich from there.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

the screw that i was talking about is the big one one on the side with the phillips opening. what is its settings?

Old 06-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

you mean the idle speed screw? (It's phillips on my Wolverine) set it to a decent idle speed... unless I'm missing something. The airscrew is the only adjustable screw I knew of on the warrior/wolvy carb...

Old 06-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry i have not replied to this message in a while, but congrats on getting that warrior goin.... sorry my parts were not avalible. Its nice to see that there are warriors still running. But now i am puttin in new exhaust studs and a helix-Coil in my head. (kind of pressed fro time between my locked jeep tranny and busted warrior head) I am goin to trade my warrior and blaster straight across for a 2000 wolverine. seems like a great deal here in KS.

I believe i am set at ~3/4 turns out. But i did that by sound as well.

diesel- he is refering to the air screw that is in the middle of the carb right below the intake that is slotted.

*edit* Sorry diesel you are 100% correct.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am now around 2 1/4 out on the air screw, using the 1" flat blade bit Scott recommended. i adjusted the idle speed screw by sound. all i need now is some air in my tires. its been sitting quite awhile. my son and i will be taking her out this weekend. he is not aloud riding by the pond anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] thanks for everyones help. if anyone has an extra air filter lying around i would sure buy it.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey i wanted to ask u guys something. I have a 96 yamaha warrior that i bought off a friend and they just litterally beat the snot out of this quad.I had it for to weeks and the motor went out. So i had it rebuilt bottom and top end, so it ran fine for awhile. But i went riding and it seemed like whenever i started it up that it would smoke but once it got going it was fine. So we rode all weekend, and i rode it really hard to, because it got really hott, and i would shut it off to let it cool down and then i would go to start it and it would turn over and everything, plus it had spark but nothing would happen so i had to be towed back to camp numerous times. i just have no idea what in the world is wrong with this quad. well someone said the stator. but i don't know the whole thing is torn down to the bare frame and i pulled the head off the motor(engine is out of the frame)and the rings are good and so is the bottom end(freshly rebuilt)so i don't know i mean i can't explain the smoking when it first starts cuz i can gas it in like first and second right after it starts and the smoke blows out, maybe its a carb problem but even if it is that still shouldn't keep the bike from at least starting. it's been down for a long time and i need some advice. o yea when i would get stranded in the woods cuz it got hott and it wouldn't start, for some reason i could be pulled by another quad and it would fire right up. Thanks!