Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how much maintenance does a blaster need??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much maintenance does a blaster need??

does anybody know how much maintenance a yamaha blaster needs regularly to keep it performing well. and what kind(s) of maintenance needs to be done on it regularly????

250rex rida

Old 05-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

On a regualar schedual the blaster will last a long time. Keep your tranny oil changed and air filter clean. Also greasing the bushings every 3 months or so is good. Sometimes you may want to take the carb out and clean it out. The chain also needs oiled often. Well maintained and not ridden too hard, the blaster will go for a long time.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I have a blaster ive been ridin since 1987...ive put one piston in it a couple of years ago. Other than that...not a whole lot!!!

Old 05-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

They don't need much maintaince. Just change the transmission oil once a year, and run good oil. I changed the spark plug once in three years, but I never fouled one. Mine was stock however. Keep the chain lubed. The most important thing to remember is to keep the air filter clean. I checked mine often, sometimes after each ride if it was real dusty. Use a good filter oil. This is no more maintaince than any other quad. People just like to claim two-strokes are a lot of trouble. The next quad I own will be a two stroke, Banshee.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:36 AM
Range Rover

The next quad I own will be a two stroke, Banshee.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I agree.

As far as maintence goes that all sounds great to me. Except when I broke one of the intake bolts of in the
cylender and had to drill it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. But ask me whos fault that was ......... Well hell, it sure as hell was'nt mine. Those Damn cheap jap bolts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.
just one question though. to clean the air filter, would you basically just bow it off with an aircompressor or something like that?
and the buschings? how would you grease those?

Blaster rida

Old 05-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

To clean the air filter, you wash it out with soapy water and then rinse with water ( be sure to get all the soap out), or you can buy a solvent used for cleaning filters. I think Maxima, Twin Air, and some other companies make some. As for oil I used Maxima oil for foam filters. Be sure to use the right type of oil for the filter you have. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to use some sealing grease to seal the filter to keep dirt from getting underneath the filter. However, I just always used the grease that I used to grease the front end with. Apply just a little around the base of the filter so it seals off good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-14-2003, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

I use to run a blaster and I ran great for 9 years the main problem with them is u need to eliminate the TORS system on top of the carb other than that basic maintanance and it will run great for years. u can get the kits about any where in the catalogs keep riding blasters are great

Old 05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

if you keep all the normal maintenance good, isn't it safe to say you can have a blaster and have it run pretty flawlessly until you have to have it rebuilt? (which all 2 strokes need eventually.) If I'm goin to ride a blaster i don't want to have to worry about it breaking down and being able to depend on a flawless day from day to day with proper maintenance.
thaNKS

ridelikeabatouttahell