Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging

My 2001 Arctic Cat's engine starts lugging after about 15 minutes of riding. Generally, I can turn the engine off for a few minutes and it will be good for another 15 when I start it up again. I notice that when it is lugging that a higher gear will help a little in trying to get back to the garage. Too high and it stalls. Frequently, I get oil coming out of the overflow(?) tube by my foot.

I have drained the gas tank and the carb. I have run Sea Foam through the gas. I have sprayed carb cleaner into the air intake. I have checked the vent tube. I have taken off the gas cap to see if that made any difference. All to no avail?

Please help. I can't think of anything else to do...other than take it to the dealer and Arctic Cat dealers are hard to find down here.

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging

Originally Posted by jstan
My 2001 Arctic Cat's engine starts lugging after about 15 minutes of riding. Generally, I can turn the engine off for a few minutes and it will be good for another 15 when I start it up again. I notice that when it is lugging that a higher gear will help a little in trying to get back to the garage. Too high and it stalls. Frequently, I get oil coming out of the overflow(?) tube by my foot.

I have drained the gas tank and the carb. I have run Sea Foam through the gas. I have sprayed carb cleaner into the air intake. I have checked the vent tube. I have taken off the gas cap to see if that made any difference. All to no avail?

Please help. I can't think of anything else to do...other than take it to the dealer and Arctic Cat dealers are hard to find down here.

Thanks.
Several things come to mind , engine/crankcase overfilled with oil ? accidental overfill from last oil and filter change.
Carb float sticking allowing gas into the engine oil ? check engine oil for the smell of gas contamination in the engine oil .
Valve clearance out of specifications ? Usally intake valve not enough clearance when engine get warmed up .
Engine crankcase vent clogged ? Overfilled engine crankcase oil , just a few idea's that come to mind ; hope this is of some help to start with untill someone else with more help with this problem if this doesn't help , welcome to the forums !

williebee......

Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Jstan, I am trying to figure out how oil can come out the overflow tube by your foot. Especially if the tube by your foot is the overflow tube for the carb?

I have seen machines run at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for long periods of time that have sucked oil in the crankcase vent tube and into the air box. Then the air flow sucks it through the filter (they were using a high flow air filter) and into the carb. This may cause it to run out the overflow but it would also coat the plug, inside the carb, air filter, and air box with oil. The air box and filter being easier to notice.

If the air filter and air box is clean I am going to have to look closer because I don't see any other way for oil to come out the carb overflow hose unless what you see the oil coming out of is not the carb overflow.

This is in addition to what Williebee said above about the engine/crankcase being overfilled either with oil or gas/oil from a sticking carb.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Jstan, I am trying to figure out how oil can come out the overflow tube by your foot. Especially if the tube by your foot is the overflow tube for the carb?

I have seen machines run at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for long periods of time that have sucked oil in the crankcase vent tube and into the air box. Then the air flow sucks it through the filter (they were using a high flow air filter) and into the carb. This may cause it to run out the overflow but it would also coat the plug, inside the carb, air filter, and air box with oil. The air box and filter being easier to notice.

If the air filter and air box is clean I am going to have to look closer because I don't see any other way for oil to come out the carb overflow hose unless what you see the oil coming out of is not the carb overflow.

This is in addition to what Williebee said above about the engine/crankcase being overfilled either with oil or gas/oil from a sticking carb.

Hope this helps

SJ

Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I'll Look Again

I don't think that the tube goes the carb...I'll look again. It is black and has a plastic fitting on the end that pinched down to a narrow slit. Anyway, I've decided to change the oil anyway so...maybe...

Old 07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil and Filter Change

The oil was BAD dirty. Looked like crude. Replaced oil filter. New plug (old plug a little oily). Ran great in my test runs. No problems.

This morning she was up to her old tricks...except this time, within a minute or two from start up. The oil in the oil window -- even though new -- looks black. I guess all the old didn't completely drain out.

I am going to change the oil again.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Check to make sure you do not have too much oil in it. Your oil level could have been full after your oil change but if the float in the carb sticks fuel can get into the cylinder and run around the rings and get into the oil. This can cause the oil to burn a little and turn black quickly.

You can also smell the oil when you drain it out and see if it smells like gas or put a little on your fingers and see what it feels like. It is not a good idea to run the engine too much if fuel keeps getting into the oil. It can take the engine bearings out very quickly.

Also, remove your new plug now and check to see what color it is? It should be a light tan if it is running correctly. My suspect the float is sticking and ran some fuel into the oil while it sat over night.

Good news is oil is cheaper, engine rebuilds are $pendy!

SJ

Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Changed the oil again. Dirty but not as dirty as before. Seems to be a slight hit of gas in the oil. Spark plug is oily. So...how do I fix the carb? Its not easy to find Arctic Cat parts around here. I guess that the spark plug can be oily because of incomplete ignition?

Old 07-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can adjust the idle about to the max and it will run at idle (a tiny bit rough) fine. If I increase the throttle it begins to chug...and as I increase will chug like a train. I don't really know what piston slap sounds like but I think I might be hearing it.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the float is sticking. Remove the carb (easy job), remove the float bowl and clean all jets and air passages. Once cleaned reinstall and see what it does.

SJ

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat 250 Engine Lugging