Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

1998 Arctic Cat 454 4x4 (Water in Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Arctic Cat 454 4x4 (Water in Engine)

Hi,
I am new to this forum and also new to “ATV”.
I just bought 1998 Arctic Cat 454 4x4; according to last owner it wasn’t used for last 3 years.
I tried to change the engine oil, noticed coolant water inside and mixed with oil. Now I changed the oil and filter and still can’t start.
Any ideas? How fix this water and oil mix issue?
Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Two questions come to mind?

1) How much water was in the oil?
Are you talking a little milky at the end when you drained the oil or it all came out looking like coffee with creamer added?

2) Does the engine turn over and not start or just not start?

These two could be connected or not connected at all. Some water in oil is possible from condensation and usually does not keep it from starting. Too much water could have rusted internal engine parts and might not be letting it turnover.

If it has sat for 3 years the no starting is more than likely fuel related. Plugged and or gunked up carb that needs to be removed and cleaned. Also while you are cleaning things clean the air filter. The engine need 3 things to run fuel, spark and air. They also need to be in a certain ratio to run properly but if one is missing it will not run at all.

Hope this helps

Swampy

Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi swampyjunior,
Thanks for your fast and informative response.
My radiator was completely empty and I when I touched the coolant (a drop in the cap), it like engine oil.
Also when I opened the oil filter I saw the green coolant water in it.
In engine its like more coolant oil.
The engine starts again and after few try it started and last 10 min during this time all white smoke and then shut off its self and after no luck to start again.
Just checked the new engine oil, now it’s like white milky oil.
I also open and cleaned the carb, put new air filter and new spark plug.
I have questions to ask?
1, Because of this engine oil and coolant water mix, what parts of engine I need to open and clean and put new seal?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a blown head gasket or a crack in the cooling system letting the coolant into the engine. I have seen this happen from a crack next to the the valve seats.

You would need to take the top end off the engine and inspect the head and head gasket. If you cannot find what looks like the culprit you may have to dig farther into the engine. Worst case, you may need a new engine.

If you look on ebay you may find a used AC 500 engine from a 1998-2001 Arctic Cat and just swap the engines out. While you are at it look for a Suzuki 500 engine as it should be the same as your 454.

Swampy

Old 12-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All,
Thanks swampyjunior for you advice.
I ordered the gasket set and will start working and will update you all.
Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Also, if you are replacing the head gasket you may want to go ahead and replace the water pump as well and clean the fins on the radiator. Usually the head gasket or cracked head happens from overheating. Although there are several things that can cause the engine to overheat the water pump going out or radiator fins getting plugged are the "usual" culprits.

Swampy

Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All,
Finally I opened the Cylinder Head Assembly and very surprised.
All the part are like new (P 1) and no sigh of water I just saw only clean engine oil (P 2). So I didn’t go any further to change the gas kit.
Then opened the Water Body and noticed that all the plastic seals are almost gone. So, its look like that water got inside the engine from here.
I have few questions.
1, Should I need to go all the way to replace HeadGaskit (I want to avoid this as much as possible, if it’s not required)
2, After the new water seals in water pump, should I just open the bottom pan and flush the engine, will it be good enough?
Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

If it were mine and I was pretty certain the seals on the pump let the oil into the coolant then I would hold off doing the head gasket.

You may need to flush the radiator and change coolant to get any oil out. Then change your oil/filter. Ride it a little to get the engine up to temp then change the oil again. Depending on what you find in the oil during the oil changes will tell you if you need to repeat changing the oil.

Swampy

Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

if I understood, you already took the head off, right?if so you need to replace the gasket and re-torque the bolts in the proper order

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All,
Thanks swampyjunior & kerbbirds.
I only opened the value cover and at that point when I noticed no water and just oil then I didn’t go any further. Even thought I got the new gasket but I guess I just got scared to open the chain and all other things.
Anyway after the complete carburetor clean up, new plug, new air filter and new battery now I just need to press the start button and it runs like a brand new.
Regarding the oil in engine, after fixing the water body I changed the cold engine oil and pour new oil with new filter.
1, Now the oil is like haze light green, so I think I will need to keep changing.
2, The coolant is on the same level is I pour after the water body change, so it seems like it’s not leaking any more, but when I open the radiator cap with engine start, I don’t see any flow movement in water and the water pipes are kind of soft.
Thanks