Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying an ATV in California

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you guys provide some info .... my cousin who lives in Auburn California and has no INTERNET access, was interested in buying a ATV but when talking to a dealer was told...

" I was talking to a dealer, and he said any bikes in California have to have a California green sticker to be able to be registered, and has to be under 80 db noise, has to have an approved spark arrester and
2 stoke engines in California are banned from any trails.

You have to register your bike every two years, for $19 , that allows you to use the California trails, or park land like the Mojave dessert, or national forest bike path, the only thing is they are just about all two wheel trails and they don't want extra forestry damage from fourwheelers. This also helps provide funds for Rangers to
patrol the trails for drinking and speeding or driving off the trail, or double riding, and making sure everyone has a greensticker."

Have you heard of any of this ? I can understand the noise and spark arrester , but no 2 stroke engines, and are most of the trails for two wheel access ?

A little background information, I live in Canada and his US money goes a long way up here, for example, you can get a 2000 HONDA ES for $5060 US or a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear for $4000 US. He was interested in me buying an ATV and bringing it down to the US when I make the trip next month, but after hearing about the restrictions and lack of trails in California he's not sure.

Any info about buying an ATV for use in California would be appreciated.

------------------
Glenn McDonald - 1998 Grizzly / 1996 Wolverine

Old 08-25-1999, 12:19 PM

Yes there is a 2 stroke ban in effect in California. As for the spark arrester and the decible restrictions, once the bike is sold the owners are able to remove these devices. Some riding areas check to see if you meet the requirements but most don't. For example I can ride at Glamis and not worry about getting hassled because my bike make too much noise or not having a sparky but if I go to Gorman the Rangers do check for a sparky and in other places (Oregon Dunes) they do check your decible level.

It just depends on where you plan on riding. Forget about buying a new 2 stroke though, you can't register it. But you can buy a used ('97 or prior) 2 stroke and still get it registered. Good ole grandfather clause.

------------------
'96 Banshee, '86 250R 4TRX, 2 '83 185S

Old 08-26-1999, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're mostly right, Darbmeister. You can buy a new two stroke, but you can't get a green sticker. What you CAN get is a red sticker. This limits you as to where and when you can ride. Basically you can ride all over the state in the winter, but not near metropolitan areas (L.A.,S.F., etc.) in the summer when it's smoggy. If you buy a used pre-"97 two stroke, you can get a green sticker for it.

As far as two strokes being banned on trails, I don't think that's right. I see two strokes all the time at SVRA's (State Vehicle Recreation Area), and know of no ban on them in the National Forest's. You are supposed to have a spark arrestor/muffler but I've never heard of anybody getting in trouble for having a loud bike (if Charles, a.k.a. quadfreak, can ride that death waking contraption of his, everybody else is in good shape). I ride a pretty loud four stroke in the Stanislaus Nat. Forest and never get a second look from thr rangers. In the Nat. Forest access is the real issue. It varries widely from one ranger district to another. Call the district you're interested in and they'll send you some info.

If you're in the Auburn area, check out Forest Hill, or just hop over to Reno and ride wherever you want.

And lastly, don't ever believe anything a motorcycle salesman tells you. If you where a superstar sales genious, would you be working for minimum wage in a bike shop? His last employer was probably Taco Bell.

------------------
TRXter

400EX