Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rancher, Wolverine, Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy one of these quads (unless someone thinks there is a different one I should consider). Looking for any advice I can get on each. I'm looking to take it camping most of the time and do a lot of trailriding. However, I really like playing around a lot (donuts, kicking the backend out, jumpin, etc.)!! Below I've listed a few pros and cons I've thought of so far but I really need some advice from people who have ridden these machines. I live in Phoenix and they won't let you test drive them. Tons of thanks for any and all help!

Rancher:
Pros: Honda reliability, creature comforts
composite floorboards, LCD!!, ESP, DC
outlet, tow hitch, etc.)
Cons: speed and suspension travel, not sporty

Wolverine:
Pros: fast and sporty 4x4 (can I tail whip?)
Cons: very basic quad for the price, no
creature comforts!!

Kodiak:
Pros: push button 2WD/4WD, fits my big frame
nicely (6'4", 250lbs.), liquid cooled
Cons: sportiness questionable, auto tranny
pricey

Old 04-26-2000, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well i just test drove the rancher 4wd-es today and I did not care for it at all just because the es system, I thought it sucked totally and the worst of it all is the reverse. If you'r going with rancher I still recommend the 4wd-s model.
But other people will disagree with what I say about the es. This is you'r big dision so it is all up to you, have fun!!

p.s. im also getting a 4wd-s honda rancher in 3 weeks so if you want to now how fun it is than e-mail me about that time.

Old 04-26-2000, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I almost forgot to tell you that you can get the LCD opinial with it and floorboards also. The LCD
cost around $165.00 here and the floorboards is
$75.00 each.

Old 04-26-2000, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Rancher 4X4 ES and love it. I have ridden friend's Wolverines. They are nice bikes. Sorry no experience with the Kodiak.
The Wolverine is faster than the Rancher but not enough to notice when trail riding. The Wolverine looks more like a sport quad and probably does jump a little better than the Rancher. Don't underestimate the "sportiness" of the Rancher. I think that the Rancher is a better mudder and certainly does a better job of keeping the mud off of you than the Wolverine. As far as Trail handling, I like the Rancher too.
The reasons I chose the ES were, the floorboards, and the LCD speedo. Getting it into reverse is actually easier than the Wolverine. Your hands don't have to leave the bars. The manual says to have it in neutral before pushing the button but you can push the button in any gear and down shift to reverse. You get used to it very quickly. I'm not sure how the Rancher S goes into reverse.
Its all a matter of personal preference. They are all good machines. Test ride them all and buy what you like best.

Old 04-27-2000, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually that is why I'm really hoping to get a lot of feedback on this topic because I can't take them for a test drive. Non of the dealers I've went to here in Phoenix thus far will allow me to test ride any ATV. I'm assuming this is a result of living in the city. So hopefully I'm going to get more good feedback from people on this forum because its especially valuable to me!!

Old 04-28-2000, 02:33 AM
Trailblazer

Either Wolverine, or Kodiak

Speed , Power, Torque, Sporty = Wolverine
Power, Torque = Kodiak

RANCHER = P.O.S ( PIECE of Sh*t )