CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Where do these wires go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do these wires go?

Back when my bike was stolen in September the kid cut a bunch of wires and hotwired it and basically created havoc under the dash and with the electrical system. He did tuck some stuff away neatly however and I just stumbled upon it.
The bundle that goes to the dash has a red and red/violet that go to the ignition switch. Has a yellow/grey, red/violet, and black/grey that go to the nuetral and overtemp/oil pressure indicators. And then there is a blue/grey and what looks like a solid black wire that were taped off and stuffed down into the conduit.

What does these blue/grey, and black wires go to, if anything on this model? It's an 03 Viper, and everything on it functions properly, indicators, lights, fan, etc... I'm thinking they may be for something on the Baja model, but I have added Baja lights and at one time a tachometer and I don't recall using these two wires for any of that.

I checked all of the plugs under the dash and fascia and none of them are missing any wires as far as I can tell. Got me stumped and being a person of detail I would like to get them where they belong even though everything is working fine.

Any spark chasers out there that can help I would very much appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Vic, unless someone gets back to you before I do... I'll look in the manual tonight and let you know.

My guess is that they are tach related or aux light related... if everything else is working properly.

I'll know for sure when I look in the schematic.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

I just had a look at my harness, and I didn't see a blue/grey wire. The only extra wires I have are the ones that used to come from the clutch lever... could it be those? I have an'02 Standard DS, and I only have four wires going from the harness to the dash indicator lights and then two from the harness to the key switch. None are the blue/grey. I'm guessing it must be for the tach. Just a guess. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

well the solid red and black go to the oil light and the yellow and the red violet go to the nuetral...The big black wire which should be bigger then the other wires went to your tach and I believe that the blue/grey wire also goes to the tach...I don't have a tach, but remember hearing about the color schemes a little while back.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

cant find a blue and grey wire anywhere on the schematic however the big black wire on the back of the tack is actually a black shield around a green wire.

Don't know what the Blue and grey wire is....

Sorry Vic. I'll study the schematic a little more and let you know what I come up with.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A lot of times wiring harnesses will include extra wires in the event a wire gets burned or develops a short......it is easy for a technician to use one of the alternate wires without replacing the harness or trying to feed another wire at that time.

The other thing that came to mind, didn't they offer an optional CD player in 2003? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Originally posted by: DSNUT
The other thing that came to mind, didn't they offer an optional CD player in 2003? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Not sure about that optional CD player but I do have a mandantory MP3 player loaded with a little bit of light dune cruising music. You know, the nice mellow stuff like Maiden, Motorhead, Metal Church, Disturbed, Godsmack, Drowning Pool, Savatage, Fates Warning, just your normal eased back in the LaZBoy cruising the dunes at 50mph sort of stuff.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Ron, I take offense to that comment.....

It's not a CD player option, it's an option for an ice maker.

Good luck Vic.

Ron, when you get a chance... call me. I want to hear how your conversion project is going,

Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Military Rider

I wish there were an option for a fuel maker. That shiznit is expensive out here in SoCal, and now that I have to run the high octane stuff the wallet is going to be taking a hit.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I took it out to our dry lake bed and and what you would call a dune this afternoon. Going to have to get some way bigger jets it looks like. Either that or I screwed up somewhere.