Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

more problems with yamoto 50 please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more problems with yamoto 50 please help

when the machine is not runningit has 12.43 volts when it is running it has 14+volts but if i turn on the head lights it tanks to 12.2 and the longer i leave them on the lower it goes any one know why? i could just run it with the lights off but i would still like to know why they are killing my battery the machine has 3 light and there are only bulbs in two could that have any thing to do with it?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you making these measurements at idle? Most quads pull net current out of the battery at idle with the headlights turned on. At the low engine speeds the stator just can't keep up. At high RPM my quad can *barely* run the headlights with a little left over to charge the battery at speed. At idle the battery is sourcing power. This is no big deal because I don't spend my day idling with the headlights on. I move, the engine rev's, and battery charges - even with the headlights on - over time.

So what is the voltage on the battery at really fast engine speeds with the headlights on?

Does your battery crank the starter OK? If you turn on the kill switch (so the engine won't start - we're just testing here) and crank the starter for, say, 30 seconds does the battery go dead?

14.4 volts across the battery is ideal. That won't kill a battery. Dragging down the voltage on the battery to 12 point something volts won't kill it either. It might discharge it over time, but that would not be just minutes. It would take a long time. How fast is your battery going dead?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Are you making these measurements at idle? Most quads pull net current out of the battery at idle with the headlights turned on. At the low engine speeds the stator just can't keep up. At high RPM my quad can *barely* run the headlights with a little left over to charge the battery at speed. At idle the battery is sourcing power. This is no big deal because I don't spend my day idling with the headlights on. I move, the engine rev's, and battery charges - even with the headlights on - over time.

So what is the voltage on the battery at really fast engine speeds with the headlights on?

Does your battery crank the starter OK? If you turn on the kill switch (so the engine won't start - we're just testing here) and crank the starter for, say, 30 seconds does the battery go dead?

14.4 volts across the battery is ideal. That won't kill a battery. Dragging down the voltage on the battery to 12 point something volts won't kill it either. It might discharge it over time, but that would not be just minutes. It would take a long time. How fast is your battery going dead?
exactly

my new 110 jetmoto is 12.8 off, 13.0 ideling, and 13.8ish while reved up. with all the lights on, including the stop light, it's 12.4ish ideling, 12.8ish reved up to just off idle and about 13 wound out.

i'd check the charging voltage while the engine is being reve'd up, it should climb.

i'm not sure on these quads but often stators are wired in 2's or 3's meaning, it can burn out 1 winding and still charge the battery but doesn't have enuff kick to keep up with additional loads.

but i'd say to make it charge, it's going to have to be reved up... even at that, it might not be charging all that much. but it should be over 12.6 [ theoretically]