Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Xtreme journey - don't want to die

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme journey - don't want to die

My son and I have ridden our jetmoto quads in the El Dorado National Forest for the past couple seasons. I would like to go on an expedition with the quads, hoping to check off all the known problems we might encounter.

Following is a link to a google map track that I created that shows the whole trek. It starts off at 5900ft and goes to 9700ft. One way distance is about 19 miles. We went about a third of the way a couple weeks ago, going to about 8000ft and the engines seemed to still run fine. Stock jets in the 200 and 150.

Any comments welcome, including u krazy dude or no problem. These things are so unreliable I know there is a good chance one of them is going to have some kind of breakdown and just hope I bring along enough tools, parts to hobble back to civilization.

Would like to do this in the next several weeks as the weather should hold up high. At near 10,000ft even a minor low system can dump snow up that high.

Plan to pack enough gear to sleep overnight and carry enough emergency supplies just in case.

copy and paste following link. You can zoom around and also look at the elevation by clicking on terrain and see satellite too.

Bear Reservoir - Google Maps

Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my jets up to 11,000ft and other then a little lack of power they still ran fine! The 150's are running the stock jets. I would say if you have road for some miles/weeks with no real problems you may just be OK. I always give mine a good going over before any ride just to make sure all is tight and well. I also keep a rope tide to the rear grab bar on two of them so I could tow if needed and I have needed to use it a couple times! It may be time to replace a chain and before the long ride may be a good time to do it! I have only replace one on one of my 150's (odd size so took some looking) so far!
Sounds like fun, I have not been able to get out much this season and a long trail ride would be fun but I know its scary thinking what may just go wrong!

Old 08-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wintrader,

This is within reach of my home, so I'm very interested in how this trip goes. I go riding with my friend and neighbor, and we've just about exhausted the nearby standard venue.

Is there cell phone coverage up there? If something really bad happens having emergency communication is important.

Can you get lost on this trail? Got a GPS?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:07 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I havnt ridden up there in a few years windtrader....sounds like a fun time to me...I dont think your that crazy.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider
Talking

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Wintrader,

This is within reach of my home, so I'm very interested in how this trip goes. I go riding with my friend and neighbor, and we've just about exhausted the nearby standard venue.

Is there cell phone coverage up there? If something really bad happens having emergency communication is important.

Can you get lost on this trail? Got a GPS?
I live near Walnut Creek/Oakland so you are closer than I. Mywifesquad lives out your way as well.

There are a lot of places to ride up off highway 88. The gold note area has lots of trails as well which remained pretty much intact after the new forest order went in closing off huge amounts of access to atvs. If you want more info on more trails let me know. I have documented many in Google.

No cell coverage to speak of. Once in awhile there may be a quick connect along the trail to get a message in or out but service is not to be counted on for any form of communications.

In case of needing to walk out, it would not be more than ten miles but that can be a long way if injured or incapacitated. You can easily get lost up there, look at the google link and see what is around - NOTHING. The trail borders on the Mokolumne Wilderness Area and if you get turned around and start into that area, it can only mean bad things.

I have fully documented the main trails and added waypoints and have them loaded into a couple gps devices which I bring along. Also since much of the trail follows a big ridge, you can get good visual positioning most of the way.

Maybe a few others might be interested to go along. We can call it the Chiquad Xpedition 2009, maybe jetmoto will sponsor us!

@outofline - Thanks for confirming the quads run at high elevation. Like I mentioned before they seemed to run ok at 8,000. Just was not sure about how much loss of power at 9,500 since there is still pretty good uphill sections.

@mywifesquad - This trip is a no brainer on a name brand quad. Doing it on a chinese quad is like trying to cross an 8 lane highway in a wheelchair. :-|

Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Braver than I am I guess. Hope all goes well on the trip. After having one 110cc Chinese quad for one of my boys, all I can say is, never again.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

good for you, I hope you have a blast. I say just take the normal tools and some snacks and water. I put 30 to 40 miles a weekend on mine(jetmoto 200) of really nasty rough trails. I am keeping up with friends that have 4x4 quads. The only weak part so far has been the chain , seems like it never stops stretching so I agree replace it . Keep a positive attitude and remember most of the time you can ride out of any prob. it just adds to the adventure. have fun and be safe. Seth 03

Old 08-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Looks and sounds like a awesome trip. I'd love to do a long ride like that sometime. Good luck and have fun.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum VinceDVX !

Wintrader...believe me i understand the element of Chinese unknown on a trip like this.. Thats why I ride a KTM in those situations!! just kidding.

I wish I had some free time..it sounds like a neat trip and I got a few Chinese quads I could bring. maybe next year on the 2nd annual invitation only excursion?

Be sure to document the trip with lots of pics...I just got a great idea....outofline could fly out and video tape the whole thing!! Sort of like one of those survival shows..

Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Just curious, does the link to google maps work ok for you?

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Braver than I am I guess. Hope all goes well on the trip. After having one 110cc Chinese quad for one of my boys, all I can say is, never again.
I totally understand. Chinese quads are definitely not for most as the quality level is quite a bit lower than what the average US consumer expects from a purchased product. If I had a few more coins back then I would have purchased two used clean brand bikes. Still, we have had the best time with these things and the life long memories are worth far more than what I have invested in time, money, and frustrations. Fixing the thing has offered my son hands on, at least eyes-on, experience of wrenching something mechanical, something few kids get these days. Will come in handy as he decides whether to go to college or get greasy every day working on cars. :-)

The only weak part so far has been the chain , seems like it never stops stretching so I agree replace it . Keep a positive attitude and remember most of the time you can ride out of any prob. it just adds to the adventure. have fun and be safe. Seth 03
Chains have been replaced on both over the past year and works much better. I don't know if you saw my post on my last trip where the main jet unscrewed and fell into the fuel bowl while on the trail. Pretty weird and had me stranded if not for a spare tow rope to get back to camp. Didn't take long to sort out but sure was a trip stopper at the time. I do wish I had full tread in the rear, as I know we are losing climbing power in certain terrain and trail conditions.

@mywifesquad - hahah - "survival show" - yeah I'll document my last will and testament on that last section of video tape showing us emaciated and eating twigs. :-) Outofline should ride his out west then do the trail. He is always bragging how his are running so good all the time.

I am learning overnight temperatures even in August get down near freezing at 10,000ft. This adds more caution and prep since our gear is more mid-climate oriented. Means packing more stuff for the cold and potential life threatening situations. Not sure if bears and wolves are dumb enough to carouse around on them peaks but need to call ranger station to check that out too.

Any others want to join, I'm getting scared? :-)

Quick Reply: Xtreme journey - don't want to die