Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Redcat vx80 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat vx80 Problems

I have an 06 Redcat VX 80, of course I can't find a service Manual or any help from Redcat, so I looked up this forum and I hope you fellas can help me out.

I am having a starting issue, When pressing the ignition button, the starter relay clicks or makes a solenoid open and close type sound, but the starter will not go. I have a broken kick start from a prior wreck so the electric start is the only option. I have replaced the Starter thinking that was the problem but it is not. All I get is a starter relay knocking noise but no juice to the Starter. Can someone please point me in the correct direction. If you need more detail please let me know.

Thanks Tdog

Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

1) Short the two big solenoid studs together with a screwdriver. Don't mind a few sparks while doing this - starters draw a lot of current. Does the starter turn now?

2) Use a voltmeter to measure the DC voltage right on the starter motor input terminal to the starter case while trying to crank the starter motor. What do you measure?

3) What is the voltage on your quad battery while trying to crank the starter? Measure this voltage right on the battery +/- terminals.

4) Jump the quad battery to your car. Does the starter turn now when attempting to crank?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Lynn, I will try all of your suggestions this afternoon after work. I will post my reading with the volt meter and I will also try the jump.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sure enough Lynn the Battery did not have juice to kick the starter. Thanks for the help on that one.

The main reason I pulled the Redcat out and began the fixing process, was because before it sat a long time I was having problems with the carb or this is what I think...

The bike would start and idle just fine, but then when you gave it gas it would tend to die out or even sound as if a choke was on or at least half way on. Now this little Redcat does not have a choke, and I did have the same issue before and found a cracked rubber stopper on one of the carb vents. I replaced this rupper cap and she ran good for a few months. This time the cap is in good shape but I was still having running issues like I had explained. I did take her apart the other night and cleaned the carb out and dipped in carb cleaner and blew out all jets and then put it back together, that is when I ran into the starter problem. So now that I have that issue sorted out, I will charge the new battery and give her a go. If I run into the same running issues I will post my findings and maybe you can help me out again.

Again, thanks for your help so far Tdog

Old 12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just wanted to follow up on my Issue with the Red Cat. After a few weeks of back and forth with Lynn, We have finally figured out the problems and the ATV is running like new.

One, The carb needed cleaning

Two, The Ground from the Coil and the CDI Box was bad, replaced

Three, The CDI had gone bad as well, replaced and the spark came back

Four, The Starter Relay was Bad and needed to be replaced. When your Relay just Clicks when hitting the Ignition Button but the Starter does not turn, then you have a bad Relay.

Can't thank Lynn enough for the help. and Hopefully this will help someone in the future. Thans Tdog

Old 12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tdogmason
I
Four, The Starter Relay was Bad and needed to be replaced. When your Relay just Clicks when hitting the Ignition Button but the Starter does not turn, then you have a bad Relay.
True however one you should always jump the two terminals on the relay to be sure. AS other faults can cause the relay to just click and still be ok. LIke bad starter, bad ground, bad positive conection/cable and of course a bad battery.

I know in automitive applications I've seen many of guys replace their starter relay on old fords and end up having to still .... clean their battery cables.

Good to hear you're up and running!