1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc atv problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc atv problems

hi everybody... first time on the site and a recent owner of a 110 cc Chinese atv.
i recently purchased a atv from somebody that bought it new and hardly put 5 hrs on it untill they burnt up the starter trying to start it with the remote safety kill on so i bought it to fix up for my son. i have purchased and replaced the starter and am now trying to get it to run right..
first off i do not know what type of atv this is so i will post a pic if anybody knows what it is, i did not receive any manuals on it.
110cc atv problems-4-wheeler.jpg
after i replaced the starter and spark plug and put some fresh gas in it i could not get it running i messed with it a while and it finally started but would only run if the choke was on and not very well it would kinda idle ok but if you pushed the throttle any it would wanna pop and die . so i let it run for a while with choke on to see if it would eventually allow me to turn of the choke and it never did, it did however loosen the nut on top of the carb that holds the throttle cable and then the motor rev'd to 100% throttle and i quickly hit the kill switch.....luckily i had it on a jack stand. it did seem to rev up and sound pretty good when this happened but very high rpm which probably wasn't good for it. i put it back together and eversince i havnt been able to get it started at all. and now if you are trying to start it and you push the throttle the starter acts like it can barely turn over the motor .
i have read posts about first start up requiring the atv be ran for 30 min. to remove the gell packs in the carb and i can pretty much guarantee the guy i got if from did no such thing so after having problems getting it started i took the carb apart and cleaned it and still will not start
any feedback and help would be appreciated

Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you clean the carburetor? Did you take it apart down to the last screw? Did you look through all the jets to verify that you see light through them? If not then you didn't clean the carburetor. There are good references on this forum on how to clean carburetors, and there are many good videos on you tube as well.

Your symptoms sure sound like carburetor problems. I know you former owner had only 5 hours on the engine, but how long did it sit in his backyard before you got it?

If you properly cleaned the carburetor any gel pack issues would be eliminated.

I don't understand the burnt up starter motor. If I go out to my quad, turn on the kill switch (so it won't start) and crank away, the battery would go dead long before the starter would burn up. There must be more to this story...

Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

i might not have cleaned it properly i took everything apart on the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner everything looked ok there was a small screw next to a big screw in the bowl i asume they are jets? the small one was the only one i wasnt sure about it was so small i couldnt see. ill look around for videos on how to clean it
it did sit for probably a year after it stoped working. and as far as the starter im not sure thats just what he told me happened.. i know the starter was bad cause i tore it apart and you could see the brushes had been heated up and melted some of the plastic around it and i metered the windings in the stator and all were burnt up except one. maybe it was just a bad starter from the factory. i have noticed from trying to start it that the starter gets pretty hot from continuous starting I've been giving it a break to let it cool down.
thanks for your help

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by coil50
i might not have cleaned it properly i took everything apart on the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner everything looked ok there was a small screw next to a big screw in the bowl i asume they are jets? the small one was the only one i wasnt sure about it was so small i couldnt see. ill look around for videos on how to clean it
it did sit for probably a year after it stoped working. and as far as the starter im not sure thats just what he told me happened.. i know the starter was bad cause i tore it apart and you could see the brushes had been heated up and melted some of the plastic around it and i metered the windings in the stator and all were burnt up except one. maybe it was just a bad starter from the factory. i have noticed from trying to start it that the starter gets pretty hot from continuous starting I've been giving it a break to let it cool down.
thanks for your help
Maybe the former owner jumped to a truck and cranked for a really long time...

Sitting for a year will gum up a carburetor. If it were me I'd start there. I'd also do a valve adjustment. This needs to be done periodically. If you don't the quad will progressively get harder to start when cold - eventually leading to no spark. If you have a clean carb, spark, and adjusted valves, then the next step is doing a compression check.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

You can damage a starter by cranking it till the battery dies. Really its not good for any brand or even your car etc. Kids will crank them over till they're dead!! The sad part is they could be just out of gas! I gave my guys a talking too about what to do if it doesn't start and how they should only crank it over so long. They're older now so its not a big deal but when they were younger and new to quads there was a learning curve.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

i ended up taking the carb back apart and re cleaning it the small jet was still plugged,its so small i could hardly tell, even clean its hard to see through. after that it started right up and ran good after a little bit of adjusting.. thanks for your help!!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just for your future reference if you google chinese four wheeler or Tao Tao atv you should get Tao Tao atv parts on line. They are pretty reasonable and pretty quick with their service. They actually have pictures to compare to your quad so you're more likely to get the right part. My son burnt up the starter on his first one too. Make sure after your boy gets some hours on it to go over the whole bike and check all the bolts. I found a bunch of loose bolts and the main bolt holding the swingarm on was almost all the way out. Also check your frame welds under the seat. Hope your little guy enjoys it and learns to respect it.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm glad you got it running.

Sawyer and Leviman have better credibility then me on the burnt starter issues since they have real life personal experience with 110cc engines, while I do not. I stand corrected.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info, ill keep that in mind if i need any parts. i appreciate everyone's help!!