1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc Too Fast for kid

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc Too Fast for kid

Hello.
We just purchased a Tao Tao ATA110-B for a 4 year old. We decided to get this after a ton of time comparing the advantages vs. disadvantages between it and a plastic "toy" from a big box store. The safety features and longevity on a "real" atv settled it for us.

My son does fine on this atv aside from one thing. I have the throttle stop screw turned all the way in but it still goes a little faster than he, or his parents is comfortable with.

Is there any way to slow the overall speed down any more on these?

I read in the manual something about a restrictor plate. Is this something that could help?

All of the specs on this model that I read before buying said that it could be throttled back to around 5 to 7 mph. The "toy" atv tops out at 7mph as well. I find it hard to believe that the plastic atv's would go as fast as this one is going.

Thanks for the help

Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum 81reaper!

Try taking the throttle stop screw out and getting a slightly longer one at your local hardware store...Most arent long enough to restrict throttle movement enough.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

i bought my daughter one of those little plastic quads and well i need to get in shape to keep up lol of corse its slightly modified but her little jeep is all stock and in high gear i have to run to keep up as she still dosent understand you have to turn before running things over lol she all ways says she jumped it lol

Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip MWQ, I will definetly try that tomorrow. That makes sense. I hope that does the trick because he has only ridden it a time or two and this evening I tried to get him to ride and he didn't want to because he said it was too fast and he didn't like that noise it makes.

The noise it makes that scares him is the alarm that sounds when I hit the kill switch on the key fob. Is there any way to just disable the sound and keep the kill switch function?

If I could slow this thing down just a hair, and turn that noise down a bit, I think he would be back to loving it like the day he got it.

Wheily, I hear you, thankfully, this remote kill switch is a life saver for an out of shape dad. I am still not convinced that I made the perfect choice by skipping a battery operated one and going straight to the real thing.

Time will tell.
Thanks a bunch for the help. More suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

you made the perfect choice. If your kids aren't scared of it then it becomes a toy and that is when they get hurt. First thing I taught all my kids and any new kid to riding is where the brake is.I let them go a few feet then yell brake and make sure they stop. after about 20 min of this they never panic and know exactly where the brake is if they feel they are going too fast. Just my 3 cents but it worked for me with a lot of kids.Seth 03

Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 81reaper
...The noise it makes that scares him is the alarm that sounds when I hit the kill switch on the key fob. Is there any way to just disable the sound and keep the kill switch function?...
If the alarm piezo speaker is separate from the remote you can cut a wire going to it. Else just find out where the sound is coming from and muffle it with something like paper towels and electrical tape. It won't eliminate the sound but it will be a lot quieter and much less annoying.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips Seth, I will work on getting him used to the brakes. I had kind of ignored it since I had the remote kill switch. It makes sense for him to be comfortable with it though in case I am not looking.

Lynn, I will for sure be under there this afternoon attempting to disable or at least muffle that siren. The first night we had this thing, it went off in the garage and we could not believe the volume of that thing. Hopefully it will just unplug somewhere.

I took the throttle stop screw out last night and plan on stopping by the store today to get a slightly longer replacement. Hope this slows it down a bit.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

81, it's the same deal with me. I've got the throttle stop on my 110D set just enough to get the thing moving for my 4, 6 and 8yr/olds, (basically a fast idle) but regardless of were you have it set, the single speed gas-n-go machines will still pickup speed going downhill. There's no compression braking with them like you would have with a gear drive unit. You could kill the ignition and the machine will still fly down a hill unless the child uses the brakes. My 4 and 6yr/olds will barely ride it because they're scared too. That actually makes me happy because my 4yr/old is a little crazy man.

Joel

Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear ya OneTenCC, my 4 year old can be crazy at times too. Most of the time really. That is all part of the fun of a 4 year old isn't it.

I am going to try the longer screw this evening, and hopefully with my land being mostly level this thing will slow down just a bit.

It's kind of funny that when we are working with him on riding his bicycle, he always wants "faster", "faster", but on this ATV, he was like whooaa.

I will post back in here once I get this modified and let yall know if we had success.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't tested the speed adjustment yet, but I can confirm that if your "Anti-Theft" Alarm gizmo looks like the one pictured below, it can be simply unplugged and everything keeps on working as intended.......minus the super loud alarm going off when the remote kill switch is activated.

I have added a longer screw to the throttle stop and plan on testing it soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: 110cc Too Fast for kid