General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Help me choose my new Ride Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After trail riding with a new 80hp Can-am 1000 Commander SXS for a day I came to the conclusion that these wide heavy clumpy machine are not going down a trail very fast no matter what power they have. Their really ment for wide dirt road riding if speed is your thing, just watch out for the cars.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some places with wider trails built for side by sides where something like a commander would do great. But normal atv trails just aren't wide enough.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Side by side regret

Originally Posted by greg74
It seems Honda doesn't want to reveal that information, even on their website. I would guess north of $20,000 at least. If its less than that I would be surprised. The base Arctic Cat Wildcat models would probably fall within your price range. The base model still has the 1000cc engine but its detuned to make a little less power than the top of the line Wildcat X. My local dealer sells both Kawasaki and Arctic Cat. The best deals on side by sides are usually the Teryx models. I've seen them priced as low as about $10,000. The Wildcat has more power though. Much more suspension travel as well. Its a 1000cc machine but I've seen plenty of videos showing them rockcrawling at places like Moab and its a very capable machine for that kind of terrain. So its not just for going fast. As long as your trails are wide enough to fit it(its 64" wide) I think it would be the best choice. The Wilcat Sport is a little narrower at 60" but its only offered with the still capable 700cc v-twin that makes 60+hp that it shares with the 50" Wildcat Trail. That's more power than the RZR 800 made. But its also less expensive, base model starts at about $13,000. That's also more power than the bigger 800cc v-twin in the Teryx makes as well. You might also take a look at the new Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec. It has a little less power but its a single cylinder so it has the bulk of its power on the low end. It tops out at about 53 mph stock so its not quite as fast as its v-twin competitors. The price is lower though, I've seen them priced at about $12,000 with EPS.

Not sure if you got your side by side yet, but I have ridden ATVs for over 20 years, have owned 14 in my lifetime. I was itching for a side by side, but really regretted it after trying to ride it for 1 year. I had a Can am and I got rid of it. The reason was they are just not as fun to take on the trails as an ATV. I was also very limited. I life in the northeast, perhaps that's the big difference. It seems like I would need a road to ride on. I could not go into those deep forest exploration trips with my friends any more. I switched back to riding my quads and have zero interest in side by sides. My buddy who rode along with me felt the same way. My experience got him to reconsider his purchase as well.
Btw.... started riding on Hondas when younger but I have 4 Yamahas now. Can't beat the Yamaha experience, features, and nice look. HONDA makes the ugliest vehicles. I know they are reliable, but are awful on the eyes.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by basswiz
not sure if you got your side by side yet, but i have ridden atvs for over 20 years, have owned 14 in my lifetime. I was itching for a side by side, but really regretted it after trying to ride it for 1 year. I had a can am and i got rid of it. The reason was they are just not as fun to take on the trails as an atv. I was also very limited. I life in the northeast, perhaps that's the big difference. It seems like i would need a road to ride on. I could not go into those deep forest exploration trips with my friends any more. I switched back to riding my quads and have zero interest in side by sides. My buddy who rode along with me felt the same way. My experience got him to reconsider his purchase as well.
Btw.... Started riding on hondas when younger but i have 4 yamahas now. Can't beat the yamaha experience, features, and nice look. Honda makes the ugliest vehicles. I know they are reliable, but are awful on the eyes.
-------------------------this-------------

Old 11-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have often thought about getting a side by side myself. My local township has made them street legal as long as they have turn signals and mirrors, that enticed me more. But many places I currently ride are just too tight to even fit a 50" machine. Some of the more wide open areas would be fine but there are places the Grizzly barely fits. If I did get one, the best bang for the buck locally would be the 50" Wildcat Trail. Seen them for 10K at the local dealer. 700cc twin putting out around 63 hp or so and around 1000 lbs, basically close to the same power to weight as a Grizzly 660. But it would constantly be scraping against everything and banging the rollcage as well. Or simply having to constantly back up because it couldn't make the tight turns atvs have no trouble negotiating. And getting one stuck, well you won't be able to muscle a utv out of a tough spot like an atv. There better be another utv or plenty of trees to winch from.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

IMHO,

I love my Teryx4 LE. Fox shocks, good room and comfort. Not completely sport and not completely utility. Reliable. Comes with a THREE YEAR FACTORY WARRANTY INCLUDED. Not the 6-12 months of others.

if you ever plan on additional passengers, consider the 4 seater.

cons: it’s loud and the engine heat comes through. All due to placement. The newest KFX model is supposed to be a Beast.

the Wolverine and Talon should also be on the short list

Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hell. I have a big wheels I can get up to a buck-20 with a topped off nitrous bottle, a hot rod cam and tires full of nitrogen. I mean... I still have to push it off the edge of the Grand Canyon and keep the throttle pinned on the way down but it'll easily do a buck-20 in that free fall all the way to the dirt- I clocked it myself.