Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Honda
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 05-31-2003, 04:04 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Default Should i change the spark plug on my foreman?

I have a 2000 foreman 400 4x4 that i do a lot of work with, and just trail/mud riding, and i have never changed the spark plug on it, and i was wondering if i need to, or if it would help it run better or anything.It runs just fine right now, and has no mods.. What kind/size/brand should i get if i decide to get a new one?Is it easy to change on a foreman?Thanks for any help.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

They are very easy to change, pull of the plug and turn counterclockwise. As for which plug to run, look at the numbers and letters on your current plug then go to the store and get whatever those numbers say..get an NGK plug..those splitfire's and all these other plugs are just a joke...if they really helped everyone would be running them.. On a fourstroke I changed the plug every six months wheather it needed it or not...and it's less then $2 so it's not like I am out a lot of money for changing it. Also before you put the new one in mak sure it has the correct gap...don't just throw it in straight out of the box...refer to your owners manual for the correct gap.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks killer250r, anyone else have any suggestions.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:17 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

On all my old bikes I changed the spark plug(s) at least once a year, I recommend you do the same. Killer250R explains changing a spark plug best so refer back to his reply on how to do it.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer
Garage is empty, add now

Killer explains it perfectly well. Just make sure you have the correct gap on the spark plug, that is essential with all engines.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Range Rover
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I wouldn't replace it unless it's showing a bit of wear. Look at the electrode and if the sides are nice and square yet, if so, leave it. ALWAYS have a spare around tho.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Garage is empty, add now

dzzy, a plug can go bad without being all used up or looking worn, so a yearly replacement is cheap insurance against sudden failure or lost performance. The only thing I have to add is to put a dab of anti-sieze on the threads to prevent any galling of the threads or ruining the threads in the motor,which is softer than the plug.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Very true, but that is when the plug is fouled, and that can happen to a new spark plug as easily as an old one IMO.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 PM

Tags
2000, 2001, 2003, 400, atv, changing, fire, foreman, forman, gap, honda, number, plug, replace, spark