Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon is down again... dreaded blinking shift indicator code 3 on ecm....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubicon is down again... dreaded blinking shift indicator code 3 on ecm....

you guys know my story... got every thing running great last week. went riding last night..... got a total of about 20 miles on it since the second rebuild... no problems last night every ting was great. i came home and left on it on the trailer and this morning i went out and fired it up, backed off the trailer, and took it around the yard a few times before parking it to clean it. i spent about 30 mins washing every thing, had a good bit of sloop on every thing. well after i got done, i fired it up and now ive got a code 3 on the ecm flashing.... did some research and found this goes to the gear position switch... i checked all connections for water, blew dry with compressed air... even took the siwtch out and inspected it... no luck.

i tried to do the test described in the fsm but i cant seem to get the plug out of the ecm, and im scared im going to break it. i plan on getting a new gear position switch monday but its just odd to me that it happened right after i washed it...

any thoughts ? this has been over 4 hours or so since i washed it and i tried to make sure all plug connections were dried out so i dont beleive ive got water any where it shouldnt be

any thoughts ? thanks in advance guys

Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rubicon is down again... dreaded blinking shift indicator code 3 on ecm....

When you couldn't get the ECM unplugged did you test the switch at the 4 pin connector for the gear position switch itself..

Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i just did that. on the swich side, every thing is normal. i can see the switch select each gear.

i dont know if this matters... but on the harness side i can read to ground on all 4 pins....

is there a trick to getting that plug off the ecu ? id like to make sure theres no water or any thing in side it.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer

also another thing to note, the neutral light stays on constantly regardless if where i put the gear shifter.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

a few more details....

when i first start the bike, i see neutral just like normal. neutral light is on. i shift it into drive, and i see D appear, altho neutral light stays on. after a few seonds THEN then blinking starts. I can see it shift into R, N, D back and fourth if i do it quickly. However the green neutral light stays on constantly. What controls the neutral light ? i think that may be my problem. what ever is keeping that neutral light on, is contridicting with the ecm maybe ? i dunno, help me guys. thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the ECM sees the neutral light is staying on it isn't going to know what gear it is in .. And you tested the gear position switch and neutral tested good only when in neutral..?..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

here is how i tested the gear position switch.

un pluged from the harness, i made sure that in each gear, r,n,d,l that ONLY that corrosponding wire read to ground. i also made sure that no others read to ground.

The neurtal light is staying on constantly, but the dash screen sees me changing gears. its only after 2 seconds or so after being in that gear, that the blinking starts.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Trailblazer

well it did not magicaly fix it self over night like I hoped....

any more ideas I am supossed to go to coal creek this sweekend.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Trailblazer

well it did not magicaly fix it self over night like I hoped....

any more ideas I am supossed to go to coal creek this sweekend.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

well i managed to make my problem worse. yay.

im pretty sure i broke the main ecu plug on the wire harness... thanks to it being glued in for some stupid reason... i guess the ecu is trashed also, because it wont even start now.

im out of patience, money, and time on this thing so im finished if it for a while.

you get what you pay for... buy a broken high mileage rubicon, spend a bunch more money on it and yo still only have a broken high mileage rubicon.