Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Banshee faster than a CRF 450 R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

A guy came up to ride with us this weekend on his CRF and I was suprised to see that we could take him on top end with our Banshee's. Is this normal?

I'm guessing it's just the way it's geared, but I'm still suprised. He was deffinatly faster in a drag race, but by all means did not kill us.

I had a CR 125 that was stock and about dead even with a Banshee on top end...that would mean that my 125 had a faster top end than the CRF.

Oh yeah, my Banshee is modded, but my buddies is basically stock with a K&N and Reeds.

Is there something wrong with his bike or is this the way they are supposed to be?

-Josh

Old 07-29-2002, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

think about it my frinds brand new cr125 is dead even with my 250r
he can weelie thew all five gears cause its geared so low and a crf450 is probably the same cause at what time are you doing 70 on an MX track

Old 07-29-2002, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

The CRF450 will do 75 mph top speed. If you really push it -80mph. In a drag race, the stock CRF will smoke most modified Banshee's.

We ran the CRF against many modifed Banshee at comp hill and found no competition. Supposedly, Eurpoe is geting a enduro version of the CRF in October, this would likely give the CRF another gear to get the top speed up closer to 95-100mph.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, we didn't actually race a drag race but he got onto it coming down the paved road at the end of our ride. He was deffinatly faster, but didn't seem to blow us away. However, if we would have started from a Standing start he may have got by more because we kind of took of in 2nd gear rolling drag race. I can say that the gap was closer between us and the 450 than it is between my Banshee and my 400ex.

Before the reeds we clocked my friends Banshee at 72-74mph so maybe with them he is over 75 I don't know. I have not measured the top speed of mine yet, but I don't think it is over 80.

I also wanted to point out that I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the bike or anything. It's a sweet bike for sure and he is so fast on the trails it is scary. I just found it odd that the Banshee's were faster because I thought the 250 two stroke's and the 450 four stroke's were running over 80mph easy.

Thanks for the info.

-Josh

Old 07-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

Josh,

No stock MX bikes will do much more than 75mph. Like arsonist678 pointed out, the MX bikes are not designed for speed. Now the enduro version.......

We have a Banshee with pipes, K&N, jets and a few other small items. We found that a sand drag on flat moist sand - the banshee pulled off the line with better traction, the CRF caught up in 2nd when it hooed up (10 paddle tire), the CRF kept pulling until topping out at 75. At 75, the CRF was about 4-7 bike lengths behind.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhhh....so I see.

Funny that you mention the enduro version because this guy could not wait for that to come out so he put a headlight and tailight kit on his and it now looks like one.

It is deffinatly a sweet bike though...didn't get to ride it, but I wouldn't have even if he offered. I was shocked at how well that think kept up with us on the trails and roads we went on. It was pitch black out and we were flying down this rocky trail...he didn't know it very well, but he kept up just fine. I thought he was going to lose it cause there were a ton of baseball sized loose rocks. Pretty impressive.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

-Josh

Old 07-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

Who cares? Does it really matter. Im not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but u got beat

Old 07-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

misfit400ex,

Get a life. Josh was just asking a question about the CRF. He was not bragging about beating the CRF, or almost hanging with one.

A wise man once said "think before you speak". You should take the advice.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Man, what are you talking about? We weren't racing for bragging rights...we were coming back from a trail ride.

I was just posting because I was shocked that a Banshee was faster than one on top end...I figured that since my 125 was about the same speed as a Banshee that the 450 would be a lot faster.

What part didn't you understand?

Anything I said besides questions were the plain and simple facts...if it sounds like I'm bragging because I could beat him top end, or complaining because his is faster in a drag race I'm sorry because that is not how it is supposed to sound.

Thank you lonestar for restating what I was trying to say and what I was not trying to say.

-Josh

Old 07-31-2002, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

How are you liking the 400EX Josh? What happened to the trick Sport 400?

Quick Reply: Banshee faster than a CRF 450 R?