Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suzuki LT80....Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT80....Again!!

Ok this thing has been a real pain in my side. We cleaned the carb and changed out the petcock last year. THANKS LT 80 for steering me in the right direction there. Over the past few months it has gotten to be a bear to start. Will NOT start without choke then runs crappy if you can get it to start at all. The kid hit a stick and broke both the black engine covers and also got the cooling fan so decided to tear it down, clean carb again, re ring it and make it right.

So pulled it down last night....spark plug was all kind of gummed up, crankcase was full of fuel too. Cylinder looked good. I wana get rings, crankcase seals, plug, engine covers, and gaskets.....might also need reeds too but I will check em out first. Where would yall point me to buy these items?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

MOTORSPORTSWAREHOUSE.COM
Sorry caps button..You will need to look up a 2003 Kawasaki KFX(KFS)80
The reed is prolly fine but you might as well get a Boyesen reed.
What was the compression? You need to measure the piston to cylinder wall clearance. You may need a bigger piston and bore. I've never been a rings only guy. For the extra 25 bucks I get the piston kit (piston and rings).
Altho, this does sound like a flooding problem (yuck in cases). To further the petcock thing, I install a shut off valve close to the carb. This allows me to shut the fuel off and let the motor run till the float bowl is empty. This will cure the flooding issue and it'll start.
Non ethanol fuel is a good thing
Take the front clutch apart to see if any parts are needed in there seeins you're getting seals and have the clutch off. Check the rear clutch bearings.
Have at it.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok. Thanks Ill check em out there. Why the 03 kfx? I know its same motor. As for piston. Whats max clearance? We changed the petcock last year to a Banshee one I believe it was.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

That link is a dead end LT80. And when I googled it it went to a car race parts place in Arizona. I found a motosports.com that might be it. As for piston and rings do I need to stay with oem? Wiseco? Cheap china? Also anything Im gona need special to get to crank seals or check out clutch?

Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Didnt check compression. I dont have a dime in this one so just gona do it up right. Cylinder measured 49.99mm. That was the highest number I could ever get measured at bottom.

49.76 on the piston best I could tell. Hard to get a caliper in there to measure.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Boy am I an idiot...
powersportswarehouse.com
Unless buying the ebay kit, I only use Suzuki parts.
.007 clearance max on the piston clearance.
Only thing special for the seals is you'll need a puller for the flywheel. They pry out and push in.
Check the clutchs out before ordering parts.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

So with that 49.99 cylinder what size piston do I need? Arent stock 50mm? Need a little guidance here so I can get this thing back together. Thanks

Old 05-20-2015, 07:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Please explain. Are you talking the ebay kit? Or are you going to bore the cylinder you have? Or are you thinking of just sticking a piston in your cylinder (you'd have to measure piston to wall clearance)?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

If Suzuki OEM is recommended then thats what Im using. My cylinder was 49.99 and looks great. My factory piston that I pulled out was 49.76 (again best I could tell since a caliper is hard to get a good reading on around the head studs) and no scratches or anything on it. Just need to know what size Suzuki piston to go with.....stock or over size and bore? Id rather not spend the extra to bore it but if I have to I will get the oversize piston and bore to that piston.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Suzuki recon under 50.05mm for bore size is OK. Min piston dia is 49.88mm. If there are no scores on the bore, you don't need a rebore. I would check the piston dia properly at 20mm above the bottom of the skirt, if it is within tolerance and not scored, why reject it? The gudgeon (wrist) pin bore limit is 12.03mm by the way.

Quick Reply: Suzuki LT80....Again!!