Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

2006 polaris ranger 6x6 deceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 polaris ranger 6x6 deceleration problem

When it is in high gear running and I let off the gas it is not down shifting to low as it looses speed and rpms. I don't think shifting is the proper term, but when I let off the gas and coast and loose speed it seems to go down to a lower gear. It quit doing that on its own and I have to feather the pedal and it will finally for lack of a better term downshift.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the moveable bushing in the front clutch is worn down to the brass causing the clutch to bind/stick on the shaft. That along with worn guide buttons can do the same thing,a glazed/galled belt or a combination of all of these.If it's the clutch,sometimes it will stick unless you feather the throttle to get it off the rough spots then the clutch will fully open,taking pressure off the belt which helps slow the machine down by engine compression.I'd check the clutch out along with the rear clutch and belt for any wear while you're at it.Have to have a clutch puller and spider tool to take the clutch apart to replace the main bushing,cover bushing and guide buttons.Rear clutch just pulls off,helix is held in place by a snap ring. Plus check that the outer front clutch sheath isn't too deeply grooved where the 6 guide buttons slide. Items 2,6,11.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response OPT, I think its great of you to share you knowledge expertise like this. I put a new belt on in Dec. or Jan. clutch sounds about right. I use the old work horse guiding waterfowl hunts on Texas's coastal prairie I'd like to get one more season out of it. Thanks again it will need to go to the shop for clutch work.