Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Left Front Hub Dry !!!!!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Front Hub Dry !!!!!!!?

Well bad news for my 2004 sportsman 400.Changed all fluids and filters yesterday.I found the left front hub dry with no fluid in it.I am assuming the clutch and hub bearings are damaged.Although i did add fluid i think most likely that wheel may not engage.There is also play in the hub pulling the wheel up and down.I did test the AWD before i changed the fluids with the rear end jacked up.It worked but i am assumeing the right front wheel was the only one working now.I am going to take the hub off today and survey the damage.I have found good used clutches for sale on ebay and wheel bearings.Would it make sense to fix it with used parts?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Possible a good used clutch is ok if needed,but I'd replace the bearings with new ones and races if needed. Possible if it hasn't been leaking too long you can get by with a new armature plate and fix the source of most leaks,the seals. To do it right you need to replace the hub seal and strut seal. Look behind the rotor and also inside the back of the strut for signs of leaking. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Torque the hub nut to 12 pounds max. Plus several videos on this that can help.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...91665533,d.eXY

Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks ! I am taking it apart now i will report back with my findings !

Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer

So far i dont seem to see any damage.Do the hub bearing generally give the wheel play if there worn? I am wondering about the front strut bearing? Although i didnt really seem to have any movement from the cv joint moveing the wheel up and down.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default kaw 360

my belt squeels when i throtle from a dead stop on my kaw. does that mean my belt is bad, or is it the clutch. thanks for any help.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If torqued properly to 12 foot pounds and you still have hub play,then usually the bearings and races are worn. You have to remember you're talking about two bearings in the hubs,two in the struts. A little wear in each one over a period of time can cause this play.Always replace the armature plate also,no sense in having to go back in twice if it starts sticking causing erratic awd action Plus inspect the coil sleeve face and inner pole of the strut(where the coil slips over) for any damage since it was run dry on fluid. Inner strut seal just pops out,easy to replace,the hub seal has to be pressed in.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jacko76
my belt squeels when i throtle from a dead stop on my kaw. does that mean my belt is bad, or is it the clutch. thanks for any help.
Could be the belt has stretched/worn and needing to be replaced,plus clutches may need to be checked out.Plus the Kawasaki owners can tell you more about this..

Old 04-26-2015, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks will do all the bearings/Seals and Armature Plate.I am surprised at how well everything does look.I thought i might see the bearings turned blue with heat and the clutch wiped out.But only 2 wear ring cycles on the back of the Armature Plate.But i can see were the front huds and clutch could be a weak link.Of course if someone does not pay attention to hub oil and its condition.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Two wear rings are normal for the armature plates as it rubs against the coil sleeve and inner pole of the strut. What happens a lot is either they get distorted,bent or magnetized over time. Cheap as they are, just easier to replace them. I always replaced them in pairs because in a lot of cases the other side may have as much wear on it even if the hub is full.