Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 suzuki 230s carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 suzuki 230s carb problems

i have a 86 230s suk and i just had the valvs done but the carb isnt right before i picked it up the guy did a carb job and didnt know what he was doing it just not right ive had it adj and its still not right all the parts are there and dj but its not getting gas and i dont know if the choke is working right i can kick it all day and it wont fire but if i put a bit of starting fluid it fires untill that is gone whats up with this damn thing please help ive had this thing for a mo and only been on it for 3min my sons bday is coming up fast and i want it to run for him

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

First make sure your gas tube from your tank is not pluged mine was. Second turn your idle screw all the way in and back it off 2 to 3 turns just to get started. Third when you put the carb back together did you blow every opening out. fourth did you make sure the float valve was working right. What carb kit did you get? Also have you tryed pulling the choke lever out before kick starting. Somewere your not getting gas if it starts with starting fluid. By the way I wouldn't use to much of the starting fluid. Also Try to see if there is gas in your float cup (drain screw). Change your filter to even if its new.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

i ve done all that many times there is no filter in that line unless its in the bottom of the tank i dont know what kit he got but its all there is it possible that when the kid redid the carb he put the diaphram upside down someone had this happen and told me to flip it

Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Is gas comin out of the bottom of the carb when u crack.open the drain screw?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

what I would do just to be safe is crack it open and rebuild with the parts you have or get a new kit. When I got mine even the guy said he rebuilt and when I took it apart it was not rebuilt in fact rigged witch is fine because I rebuilt from bottom to top. As fare as filter if there is none on the line going into carb then there is none. It would be a really good idea to get one (small one from auto part store $3) as there is none in the tank. so if it was sitting without a filter a month or 2 then it could have got something into the carb.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i adj it 2 full cranks out on idle and and pilot screws still wouldnt start so i unhooked air box and gave it a shot of starting fluid and it started right up it didnt idle very good prob need to adj it out better i took it around the yard real slow and it died i didnt run bad no popping or sputtering but when i went to see if it would idle better it died so i kicked it and it started up everytime but it was hard to start 5 or 6 kicks then it would fire what a bitch it just wont pick up and start cold you can choke the **** out of it and nothing why would that be tomm im going to take the carb off and go thru it again this is about the 5th time the first 2 times there was a bit of sand in it but that seemed to clear up now im going to do my best to set to a factory setting or as close as i can get let you know asap cause i want the boy to ride it on his bday thanks for the help

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Are you running it with air filter attached? If its running lean, th en air filter on should help a little. Sounds like you may want to take the tank off and rinse it real good and take the petcock apart and clean it. Also, while it is idling spray starting fluid around the boot going into the motor to make sure its not suckung air there

Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

ill drop the tank today and clean the petcock i went out this morn kicked it 3 times and it started then i went to see if i could adj the idle and it died and wont start back up ive been kickin it for an hr now wtf and yes i had the air box on