Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Undecided

Old 07-26-1999, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing a lot of research and this is the info I can give you to help me. I purchased a used suzuki 230 that I ride and I bought a new lt80 for my kids. My wife also likes to ride once in a while and I need something with a little (a lot) more zip(plan to let my wife ride the 230). I've been looking at the Yamaha wolverine, Polaris scrambler 400 and 500, Honda 400ex, kawasaki lakota 300. We do a lot of woods riding and I like to climb hills. I want something with ground clearance (we ride a lot through the creek with a lot of rocks), and that I can pull my kids through the snow on an intertube. The wolverine seems like it would grab too much in the turns(all time 4 wheel drive) and I don't know if 50 mph is fast enough. The scramblers are heavy and I don't know how heavy they would feel through turns. I'm 36 years old, 6'3" 220 pounds and rode dirt bikes when I was a kid (250's) but not real crazy type riding. The 230 definitely runs out of power on hills for me and is too slow. We love the sport and we're also buying another lt80 for the kids. Hope for some help out there.

Old 07-27-1999, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

I own a 400EX and of course I love it! It is a great machine. I have modified it some and it has helped out alot. It is a good hillclimber, especially now that I got a pipe and rev kit. It can scream up hills and never falls off the power like it did stock. However, you said you wanted something with some ground clearance. The 400EX with stock rear tires has miserable ground clearance. I have put some 22" ITP Holeshot XCT's on mine and it has helped alot. If you get the 400EX you should probably plan on spending about $750 in mods. I would suggest a good exhaust system, rev kit, and the 22" Holeshots. I have a Curtis Sparks exhuast it is really loud, but the performance is excellent.

My dad has a Scrambler 400, and he loves it. His is modified with a HPD pipe, DG silencer, reeds, jet kit and clutch kit. The Scrambler 400 is a sweeter deal than the 500 becuase you can get so much horsepower out of it. Supposedly the 500 is faster than the 400 stock vs. stock, but if you put $500 in mods on both of them, my money would be on the 400. Horsepower is alot cheaper to buy on a 2 stroke, plus they are so responsive to improvements. Also my dad is a big guy 6'1" 250 and he is very comfortable on the Scrambler. I do have to say that compared to my 400EX it is sluggish in the handling department. However, it is 4WD, has good ground clearance, great hillclimber, and has alot of power. Also, the fact that you can take it out of 4wd is sweet too. You might be suprised how much quicker it is in 2wd. It is like you unchained it from a tree.

Adam Smith
99 400EX

Old 07-28-1999, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Adam,
I never really noticed my Scrambler 400 being that much slower 4WD...
As far as which quad. Get one of the Scramblers. They are heavy but if you have any kind of strength you'll be fine. I ride mine for hours without complaint. They are great in mud, decent ground clearance & super hill climbers. The 500 is more torquey & might be better at pulling the sled, but if you want to modify one get the 400. That engine is a powerhouse. It has far more potential than stock. Plus at your size a Scrambler will feel right. The 400EX feels really small to me. A nice ride, but no ground clearance, & not near the hop up potential of a Polaris 400. The Lakota is nice but you may be dissappointed with the power. The full 4X4 of the wolverine is up to you to decide.
I haven't regretted my choice.
Andrew Thomas
'99 Scrambler 400 w/RCR kit & '99 Trailblazer

Old 07-29-1999, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would highly recommend the 400EX. I have one and it is a great machine. It is loads of fun and it is very fast. In stock form, the engine shreds, at least in my opinion it does. Suspension is smooth at both ends. One recommendation: unless you are a heavier fellow, I'd would take off all preload on the front shocks. This will drop the front end a little bit and it won't make the ride so harsh when pouding through bumps.

I think the best thing about the 400EX is how easy it is to go fast. Before I got my 400EX, I rode an old Polaris. The first time I went out on the trails, I was amazed. Before, when I was on the Polaris, it FELT like I was going fast, but in reality, I wasn't! With the 400EX, you can fly. It is amazing. All of the machines you listed have good qualities, but you cannot go wrong with the 400EX. You cannot..........

Old 07-30-1999, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

MY 400EX is nothing to brag about when it comes to groundclearence, but if youy put larger tires on there it will have a decent height. I don't think the Lakota fits your riding style, its not realy a fast bike, since it borrows the Bayou's engine. I too ride creeks and very aggressive trails with my 2x4 and I do fine. Maybe you could look at a Polaris, they seem to fit your description.

------------------
*400EX* *LT250R* Evan Johnson Email: JaVa003@AoL.CoM

Old 07-30-1999, 03:15 PM
Trailblazer

I am the owner of a 99 Polaris Scrambler 500 HO. I love this quad. I am a rather large guy (6 ft. 235) and I fit very nicely on the scrambler. I think because of your size, you will not be happy with the 400 ex. It is a fine quad, but I felt like it was too small for me. Also the ground clearance on the scramblers is much better than the 400. I was considering the same quads when I purchased mine. I did not get the wolverine because it is all time 4wd, and also because it is a dated engine and design. The 400 as I said was a little small, and I wanted 4wd. I chose the scrambler 500 because I wanted a four stroke. I have had no trouble with it. Now would be a good time to buy because the 2000 models will be out soon. You can probably save a few bucks by purchasing a 99 model. The 500 has alot of torque and is very fast stock. If you plan on adding alot of aftermarket stuff to make it faster, purchase the 400. The 500 is upgradeable, but it will cost you more. Both the 400 and 500 are excellent choices. The 400 is about $500 cheaper, but more expernsive to service (maintenance). They are heavy, but when you are riding them you can not tell. You can still jump small to medium jumps and ride wheelies till you heart is content. Also, they are much faster than the wolverine, and the 400 can be modified to be a ROCKET. Not your only choice is four stroke ir two stroke.

Jeremy 1999 500 HO

Old 08-01-1999, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Your choices are all great, and no matter what you decide it'll probably be good. I personally like the Wolverine, but it seems you do not really. If you don't want the Wolverine, then the Lakota shouldn't even be a choice on your list. The Wolverine is just a better and faster Lakota with its 4 wheel drive.

It's time for you to have fun. Spoil yourself. Everyone's got their atv, but your the dad-the leader. Be the boss. Get the best atv-a 400ex. It'll be great on hills, very powerful, and is just more fun to ride. The 400ex is faster and has more power than the heavier Scrambler. The only thing you're missing is a reverse and 4x4 but you can still have tons of fun on it.

------------------
Alibaba

'98 Honda 300ex, '97 Honda Recon, '86 TRX125