Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lever on left handle of 1990 LT230E

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lever on left handle of 1990 LT230E

I was wondering about the lever on the left handle. It looks like a brake or clutch lever, but it doesn't seem to do anything. This bike has a sequential shift. It has the little button that you push down like a parking brake.

Thanks for the help!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:04 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Your question has been chosen to be answered by our editorial team on the ATV Connection homepage.

Here is the direct link:

Ask the Editors: Is That A Second Clutch Lever on my Quadsport? - ATVConnection.com

Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the editorial team for answering my question!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATVC Correspondent

Your question has been chosen to be answered by our editorial team on the ATV Connection homepage.

Here is the direct link:

Ask the Editors: Is That A Second Clutch Lever on my Quadsport? - ATVConnection.com

"What you’re looking at there is the engine compression release. A majority of the Suzuki LT230 series boasted this feature to make kickstarting the machine slightly less of a chore. It originated with the kickstart-only models but was retained across the later model years (like yours) even though they came equipped with electric starting.

Once fully engaged, the lever goes slack until you turn the engine over, then cable tension returns it to its standard resistance. If it doesn’t function like this, there is a good chance it was disconnected (or rusted through) at some point during the machine’s life. OEM replacement parts for the lever and cable are still commonly sold if that’s the case, though the decompression function isn’t necessary to operate the quad- especially if you aren’t having trouble turning it over."

Sorry, but the editorial team got it wrong. They described the compression release on an LT230S quadsport, not a 1990 LT230E model that you asked about. The LT230E does have a compression release for when you need to use the pull starter, but it is a lever directly on the head on the right side of the engine. There is no cable or lever for it on the handlebars like the quadsport has.

To answer your question, the lever you're asking about is nothing but a parking brake lever. In fact, if it's still functioning properly, you can't even pull it in unless you push the small button to engage the parking brake.

On the LT230S quadsport, this lever is both a clutch handle and a parking brake lever. The compression release lever they described on a 230 quadsport is a second small lever that sits on top of the handlebars mounted just to the right of the clutch/parking brake lever. Your bike doesn't have this.

Editorial team, you might want to revise your answer. You also mistakenly mention that the majority of LT230 series had this feature. There were four LT230 models. Only one had the compression release like you described (the LT230S quadsport). The LT230GE, LTF-230, and LT230E did not have them. The later '89 and '90 250 quadsports had them, but they are obviously not LT230's.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree...
The LT230E's are called quad runners I think.
quad runner- quad sport- quad racer.
In order of speed...LOL

Old 03-05-2015, 01:19 AM
Quad Patrol

Indeed it appears you are correct Yagerzzz; by 1990 the LT230 series had undergone a slight transformation of sorts on the Suzuki line (from Quadsport to Quadrunner) which included some relocation of the engine compression release.

Here is the OEM parts schematic for the 1990 LT230E, where the choke dial was also located on the left side control cluster:

Believe it or not, there were multiple configurations available of the control assemblies for 1990 depending on whether you had a Model H,J,K,L,M,N or P LT230E - the differences were minor for the most part. The following site is priceless for checking each factory schematic breakdown:

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...r-lt230e-parts

Old 03-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I think I stand corected too. I think the quad runner was the 4x4 that I had.
The LT230E was prolly a quad sport.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, you were correct Jack. The 230E was a quad runner. The only quadsports back then were the the LT80 and the LT230S (Actually, in 1990, it was the rare LT250S). The only quadracers were the LT250R and LT500R. All other Suzuki ATV's were referred to as quad runners, including the 230E.

The LT230E shares a lot in common with the LT230S, so people assume that nearly every thing is the same among them. In actuality, there are quite a few differences, even on parts that appear the same. I have multiples of both machines. I've had a 230S since 1986. It go stolen, but I've since replaced it with two others, and a couple parts bikes, so I was very familiar with the 230S. When I got my first 230E years later, I couldn't believe all the little differences. Now, I own three of those too.

The plastic, (although it will bolt right up) isn't even exactly the same. What's odd is that the 230E model was made from 1987 until 1993, but the plastic is the color of the 1986 230S quadsport plastic. (That was the only year the 230 quadsport has the orangish/red plastic. It was orange with no red tint in 1985, and in 1987, they changed the quadsport to white plastic.) The shape is also identical to the quadsport plastic. But the rear on a 230E has holes with rubber grommets for the mounting of the rear rack. (All 230E's came with a rear rack in the early years. It became an option in the later years, but they still had the holes in the plastic.) There is also a metal piece riveted to the right side of the rear plastic on the E model where the kick starter would be on the S model. It's to hold an entirely seperate piece of plastic that covers the kick start indentation. The S doesn't even have this piece. Even the fronts have a minor difference. The two holes that are about halfway up under the nose piece that have mounting bolts that go straight into the top frame rails are bigger on the E. The reason is the E had an optional front rack that used those bolts as a mounting point, and the bolts are a bigger diameter than on the S models.

As for the compression levers, the '85-'88 230S quadsport, and the '89-'90 250S quadsport always had the cable operated compression lever on the handle bar. It's Identical to what you see on some of their DR dual sport motorcycles. The 230E (and some other quadrunners) had the same compression release system in the head, but instead of having a cable operated lever on the handle bars, they always had a lever directly onto the shaft that goes into the head to open the valves on the top right side of the motor. Luckily, most of the fourwheelers that have this have electric start because that lever gets HOT if you need to use it after you've been riding for awhile! Not the best design.

I could go on forever on tiny differences that most people would have no clue about. I have so much useless Suzuki knowledge on these, it's not funny. Too bad I can't remember what I did yesterday! LOL

yagerzzz

Old 03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Can't argue with that...

Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Quad Patrol

Great stuff, Yagerzzz.. Thank you for taking the time to contribute some of the details/ differences. Even in Suzuki's archives scattered throughout the net, the details get a little fuzzy on the transition from Quadsport 230S to Quadsport 250S and Quadrunner 230E.

Quick Reply: Lever on left handle of 1990 LT230E