Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris or Arctic Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris or Arctic Cat?

I am looking for a utility quad for general hunting/light work/running in the woods fun and some plowing. I have it narrowed down to the Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. or the Arctic Cat 500. My local dealers have the same prices within a few dollars--not enough to make a difference. Does anybody have any opinions or suggestions????

Old 03-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with the arctic cat. to me the arctic cats look alot sturdier than polaris. plus my friend has a polaris and the steering stinks becuase it is really squirrly plus the features on the polaris are Usualy plastic and flimsy like some of the racks are even plastic. to me the arctic cat is more of a work horse but the polaris would do alright.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a Cat jockey myself - 500i with 5 spd manual. It's been great. Rides smooth, gets me around my farm, not scary fast but enough power to go wherever you want. Lots of low end grunt, great machine for hauling loaded trailers.

Not a whole lot of difference between Cat and Polaris, though. Specs are pretty close, and from what I hear, the newest polaris are pretty reliable. My Cat has been bulletproof - two years and 900 miles of trouble free riding.

I'd go with whichever dealer wants your business the most.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have a arctic cat 400 and a polaris 700 ,the ebs on the 700 sucks going down hills like the other fellows said.I would go with the arctic cat,I do think the polaris rides better than the arctic cat but who cares when your going down a hill out of control with your back wheels sliding and the other guys on hondas and arctic cats are laughing at you.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

the cat is more what you want, IMO. the cat is a workhorse, great ride, awesome clearance, high rack capacity, good towing capacity. wont be as fast as the polaris but when you are making your way home with that big trophy on the rear rack you won't be going that fast anyway, LOL

Old 03-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just curious as to why the Suzuki 500 Vinson isn't an option? Pretty highly rated quad.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: MTVinnyRider
Just curious as to why the Suzuki 500 Vinson isn't an option? Pretty highly rated quad.
Haven't read or heard too much about it. I know it's out there, but when you start too look for articles, advice or reviews there is nothing. It is also about $600 more than the other too and I can't figure out why.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Kinda hard to read but....
[list]
AC Polaris

Old 03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
    Range Rover

Wow, I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 and I have never had one problem with the rear end and going down SUPER steep hills at Finger Lake State Park in Missouri. Maybe I have just spent too much time on a mountain bike and know how to brake down steep hills. If I want to keep the EBS off I give it a bit of gas while braking down the hill. I also do not put it in low as often as I probably should. I do notice the rears wanting to lock going downhill in low, nothing too crazy. I also have not ridden any other 4 wheelers (besides Polaris machines 325 Exp, 250 TB, 500 & 500 HO) on big hills, so maybe I just do not know any better :-)

SLG

Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 PM
    Pro Rider

Well I dont know what kind of rider bikkat is but if he rides a finger lake in Missouri he knows all about steep theres trails back in there that are as steep as is get.Ive been there many times and have taken the sp700 down hills so steep i had to but my *** on the back rack and have never had the ebs on the polaris be a problem.Going down a steep hill I dont want my front tires braking anyway.

Quick Reply: Polaris or Arctic Cat?